Nosferatu (Hugh Cornwell and Robert Williams album)
|Studio album by Hugh Cornwell and Robert Williams|
|Recorded||December 1978–April 1979|
|Producer||Hugh Cornwell and Robert Williams|
|Hugh Cornwell chronology|
members of the seminal rock band the clash sang backing vocals on the final track puppets
|Robert Williams chronology|
|Singles from Nosferatu|
Nosferatu was the 1979 album by the Stranglers' Hugh Cornwell's musical collaboration with Robert Williams, who was a drummer in Captain Beefheart's Magic Band. The album cover features a still from F.W. Murnau's 1922 film of the same name, with the album styled as a soundtrack to the Film. The album is dedicated to the memory of Max Schreck. The inner sleeve features song lyrics on one side and a lifesize Hannya Mask (by K.Kaneko) on the other.
'Guest' musicians on the album include Ian Underwood from Frank Zappa's band and David Walldroop. Mark and Bob Mothersbaugh of the band Devo play on the song "Rhythmic Itch", and "Wrong Way Round" features a cameo from Ian Dury as a fairground barker (listed as "Duncan Poundcake" on the album credits).
Hugh Cornwell was advised to start a solo career in case of The Stranglers breaking up due to the end of the punk-rock scene. A cover version of Cream's "White Room" was the only single to be released from the album, backed with an instrumental version of "Losers in a Lost Land", which failed to chart; however, "Wired" was included on the Stranglers' "Don't Bring Harry" EP which reached No. 41 in the UK Singles Chart.
An additional track "Grinding Gears" recorded at the same sessions was released on Robert Williams first solo album Late One Night.
- Side 1
- "Nosferatu" - 1:43
- "Losers in a Lost Land" - 4:26
- "White Room" - 3:53
- "Irate Caterpillar" - 5:00
- "Rhythmic Itch" - 2:12
- Side 2
- "Wired" - 3:07
- "Big Bug" - 3:50
- "Mothra" - 2:57
- "Wrong Way Round" - 4:58
- "Puppets" - 2:48
- Robert Williams - Drums, Bass, Guitar, Synthesizer, Whistle, Vocals
- Hugh Cornwell- Guitar, Synthesizer, Bass, Vocals
- Ian Underwood - Synthesizer on "Nosferatu", "White Room", "Rhythmic Itch" & "Wired"
- David Waldroop - Guitar on "White Room" & "Guitar, Synthesizer, Bass, Vocals
- Bob Mothersbaugh - Guitar, Vocal on "Rhythmic Itch"
- Mark Mothersbaugh - Synthesizer, Lead Vocals on "Rhythmic Itch"
- Hugh Cornwell and Robert Williams: Nosferatu at Discogs (list of releases)
- NOSFERATU (Hugh Cornwell & Robert Williams). hughcornwell.com. Retrieved on 4 March 2009.