|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
Nostrand Avenue is a major street in Brooklyn, New York, that runs north from Emmons Avenue in Sheepshead Bay to Flushing Avenue in Williamsburg, where it continues as Lee Avenue. It occupies the position of East 30th Street in the Brooklyn street grid.
From Flushing Avenue to Farragut Road, Nostrand Avenue is a one-way two-lane street going southbound only. Between Kings Highway and Avenue X, it is a two-way street with four traffic lanes. South of Avenue X, the avenue is a very wide two-way divided road with six traffic lanes. The avenue, originally called Nostrand Lane, has been open since 1840.
The street is serviced by the following public transportation:
- The B44 bus, which replaced a streetcar line in 1951, serves the entire avenue.
- The BM4 express bus runs on the avenue between Avenue K and Quentin Road.
- The IRT Nostrand Avenue Line, served by the 2 5 trains, runs under Nostrand Avenue from Eastern Parkway to Flatbush Avenue.
- The IRT Eastern Parkway Line has one local station (2 3 4 5 trains) on Eastern Parkway.
- The Long Island Rail Road's Atlantic Branch has one station at Atlantic Avenue.
- The IND Fulton Street Line has one express station (A C train) on Fulton Street.
- The IND Crosstown Line has one station (G train) on Lafayette Avenue.
|This article relating to roads and streets in New York City is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|