Not Easily Broken
|Not Easily Broken|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Bill Duke|
|Produced by||Brian Bird
T. D. Jakes
|Screenplay by||Brian Bird|
|Based on||Not Easily Broken
by T. D. Jakes
Taraji P. Henson
|Music by||Kurt Farquhar|
|Editing by||Josh Rifkin|
|Distributed by||Screen Gems|
|Running time||99 minutes|
|Box office||$10,708,890 (worldwide)|
Dave (Morris Chestnut) and Clarice Johnson (Taraji P. Henson) have reached a breaking point in their marriage. When Clarice is injured in a car accident, her mother Mary (Jenifer Lewis) intervenes. The obvious truth that more than just her injuries need immediate attention is exposed. Their odds of making it worsen as Clarice begins to see a physical therapist, and Dave develops a friendship with her (Maeve Quinlan) and her friendly teenage son Bryson (Cannon Jay). The acceptance and comfort Dave finds in them stirs his longing for a family and a passionate partner. Sadly, Bryson unexpectedly dies in a swimming accident, Dave and Julie's relationship closens and Clarice pulls farther away; they must confront whether their vows are or are not easily broken. Later on, Dave visits Julie after she calls him, and he comforts her in her grief. They begin to kiss, but Dave realizes it is Clarice he truly wants. The couple reunites once Clarice expresses to him the reasons for her mother having such a big input in their marriage. They reunite and Dave finds out that Clarice is pregnant.
- Morris Chestnut as Dave Johnson
- Taraji P. Henson as Clarice Clark-Johnson
- Maeve Quinlan as Julie Sawyer
- Kevin Hart as Tree
- Wood Harris as Darnell Gooden
- Eddie Cibrian as Brock Houseman
- Jenifer Lewis as Mary "Mama" Clark
- Niecy Nash as Michelle
- Cannon Jay as Bryson Sawyer
- Albert Hall as Bishop Wilkes
The film has received mainly negative to mixed reviews from critics. As of January 9, 2009, Rotten Tomatoes reported that 37% of critics gave positive reviews from critics based on 38 reviews. Another review aggretator, Metacritic, gave the film an 43/100 approval rating based on 18 reviews.
On its opening weekend, it opened #9 with $5,600,000 in 724 theaters with an $7,735 average.
- "Not Easily Broken (2009)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved November 30, 2009.
- "Not Easily Broken Movie Reviews, Pictures". IGN Entertainment. Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 9, 2008.
- "Not Easily Broken (2009):Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved January 9, 2009.
- "Weekend Box Office Results from January 9-11, 2009". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved January 11, 2009.
- Official website
- Not Easily Broken at the Internet Movie Database
- Not Easily Broken at allmovie
- Not Easily Broken at Box Office Mojo
- Not Easily Broken at Rotten Tomatoes
- Not Easily Broken at Metacritic
- Morris Chestnut: The Not Easily Broken interview with Kam Williams