Not Lame Recordings
|Not Lame Recordings|
|Parent company||Private company|
November 24, 2010
|Country of origin||U.S.|
|Location||Ft. Collins, Colorado|
Not Lame Recordings was a Ft. Collins, Colorado, United States based independent record label specializing in power pop releases. The company was started by Bruce Brodeen in November 1994 It quickly became the center of a small but ever expanding cult of those devoted to the guitar and harmony driven retro-rock known as power pop. After 16 years of operation, the label finally shut down on November 24, 2010. The reasons Brodeen mentioned for his decision were a career switch he had undertaken, combined with decreasing music sales in recent years in an already small market for CDs in the power pop genre. Brodeen is looking to introduce Pop Geek Heaven, an online interactive social media site, as a successor to Not Lame's role within the power pop community.
In its 16 year existence, Not Lame released over 100 albums, including the annual 3-CD compilation of the International Pop Overthrow festival from 1997 through 2010 (with later years being brought out by Brodeen privately). The label also released albums for artists like Tommy Keene and Dwight Twilley, as well as bands such as Myracle Brah, The Deal, Sweet Apple Pie, and Wanderlust; and box sets for such notables as Jellyfish and The Posies. The company's online store has sold over 15,000 different CD releases.
- Cornell, Rick (10-01-2001). "Pure Pop For Now People". Indy Week.com.
- Not Lame Recordings (2010). "About us". Retrieved November 17, 2010.
- Dr. Bristol's Prescription (11-16-2010). "R.I.P. Not Lame Recordings".
- Brodeen, Bruce (2010). "Not Lame goodbye". Retrieved November 17, 2010.
- Not Lame Recordings (2010). "All Not Lame label CDs still in available!" Retrieved November 17, 2010.
- Ruhlmann, William. "Review: Dwight Twilley: Between the Cracks Vol. 1". Allmusic Guide.
- Prato, Greg. "Myracle Brah: Music Biography". Allmusic Guide.
- Loftus, Johnny. "Review: The Deal, Goodbye September". Allmusic Guide.