List of people with Down syndrome
This is a list of people with Down syndrome, a condition also known as Down's syndrome or trisomy 21. Down syndrome is a genetic disorder caused by the presence of all or part of a third copy of chromosome 21. It is typically associated with physical growth delays, characteristic facial features, and mild to moderate intellectual disability. The average IQ of a young adult with Down syndrome is 50, equivalent to the mental age of an 8- or 9-year-old child, but this varies widely. Down syndrome is the most common chromosome abnormality in humans, occurring in about one per 1000 babies born each year.
|Alsabbagh, DannyDanny Alsabbagh||Actor who played Toby in Summer Heights High.||Australia|||
|Barbanell, EdwardEdward Barbanell||Actor who starred in The Ringer||United States|||
|Brewer, JamieJamie Brewer||Actress, best known for her role Adelaide "Addie" Langdon in the horror TV series American Horror Story: Murder House and Nan in American Horror Story: Coven.||United States|||
|Burke, ChrisChris Burke||Actor and folk singer, best known for his role in Life Goes On as character Charles "Corky" Thacher.||United States|||
|Darwin, Charles WaringCharles Waring Darwin||Youngest child of Charles and Emma Darwin.||United Kingdom|||
|de Gaulle, AnneAnne de Gaulle||Youngest child of Charles and Yvonne de Gaulle.||France|||
|Goksøyr, Marte WexelsenMarte Wexelsen Goksøyr||Actress, playwright, writer and disability rights activist.||Norway|||
|Duquenne, PascalPascal Duquenne||Actor who won the Best Actor Award at the 1996 Cannes Film Festival for his role in The Eight Day.||Belgium|||
|Friedman, Andrea FayAndrea Fay Friedman||Actor and voice actor who portrayed Amanda in Life Goes On and Ellen in the Family Guy episode "Extra Large Medium".||United States|||
|Gaffney, KarenKaren Gaffney||Special Olympian, swimmer and president of the disability rights organization the Karen Gaffney Foundation. She is the first living person with Down syndrome to receive an honorary doctorate degree.||United States|||
|Gerrier, MarinMarin Gerrier||Actor who was nominated for a Genie Award for his role in Café de Flore.|||
|Gordy, SarahSarah Gordy||Actress who has appeared in Upstairs Downstairs and Call the Midwife.||United Kingdom|||
|Jensen, SandraSandra Jensen||Patient who was initially denied a heart-lung transplant by the Stanford University School of Medicine in California because she had Down syndrome. After pressure from disability rights activists, Stanford University School of Medicine administrators reversed their decision. In 1996, Jensen became the first person with Down syndrome to receive a heart-lung transplant.||United States|||
|Jessop, TommyTommy Jessop||Actor who starred in BBC drama Coming Down the Mountain and played Hamlet professionally with Blue Apple Theatre.||United Kingdom|||
|Moss, JoeyJoey Moss||Edmonton Oilers locker room attendant.||Canada|||
|Pineda, PabloPablo Pineda||Actor who starred in the semi-autobiographical film Yo También and first student with Down syndrome in Europe to obtain a university degree.||Spain|||
|Potter, LaurenLauren Potter||Actress who played Becky Jackson in Glee. She was also nominated by Barack Obama onto the The President's Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities.||United States|||
|Sage, PaulaPaula Sage||Film actress and Special Olympics netball athlete. Her role in the 2003 film AfterLife brought her a BAFTA Scotland award for best first time performance and Best Actress in the Bratislava International Film Festival, 2004.||United Kingdom|||
|Scott, JudithJudith Scott||Outsider sculptor and fiber artist.||United States|||
|Sepponen, SannaSanna Sepponen||Actress and Special Olympian, known for her role in Salatut elämät||Finland|||
|Tim, the "Oldenburg Baby"||An infant who was born after an unsuccessful abortion attempt and subsequently fostered.||Germany|||
|Zimmerman, LukeLuke Zimmerman||Actor who starred in The Secret Life of the American Teenager||United States|||
- Patterson, D (Jul 2009). "Molecular genetic analysis of Down syndrome.". Human Genetics 126 (1): 195–214. doi:10.1007/s00439-009-0696-8. PMID 19526251.
- Weijerman, ME; de Winter, JP (Dec 2010). "Clinical practice. The care of children with Down syndrome.". European journal of pediatrics 169 (12): 1445–52. doi:10.1007/s00431-010-1253-0. PMID 20632187.
- Malt, EA; Dahl, RC; Haugsand, TM; Ulvestad, IH; Emilsen, NM; Hansen, B; Cardenas, YE; Skøld, RO; Thorsen, AT; Davidsen, EM (Feb 5, 2013). "Health and disease in adults with Down syndrome.". Tidsskrift for den Norske laegeforening : tidsskrift for praktisk medicin, ny raekke 133 (3): 290–4. doi:10.4045/tidsskr.12.0390. PMID 23381164.
- "MTV's Asks: 'How's Your News?'". Hartford Courant. 6 February 2009. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Jamie Brewer". IMDb.
- "Life Goes On". TV.com. CBS Interactive.
- Steensma, D. P. (2005). "Down syndrome in Down House: Trisomy 21, GATA1 mutations, and Charles Darwin". Blood 105 (6): 2614. doi:10.1182/blood-2004-10-3974.
- Nixon, Richard (1990). In The Arena: A Memoir of Victory, Defeat, and Renewal. New York: Simon and Schuster. p. 229. ISBN 0-671-70096-0.
- Joswig, Rebekka (9 June 2012). "Marte Wexelsen Goksøyr får Stolthetsprisen". Vårt Land. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- Stefaan Sercu (20 November 2002). "Mentaal gehandicapten komen thuis". Het Volk (in Dutch).
- "'Secrets and Lies' takes top honor at Cannes Film Festival". CNN. May 20, 1996.
- "On Screen: Guilt And The Survivor". Eye Weekly. March 13, 1997.
- DSIAM—Down Syndrome in Arts & Media website. Retrieved 02-18-10.
- "Dr. Karen Gaffney: First living person with Down syndrome to receive honorary doctorate". Retrieved May 10, 2013.
- James Wallin. "Upstairs Downstairs actress's new-found fame". The Argus.
- Anna Roberts. "Call the Midwife role written especially for Lewes actress Sarah Gordy". The Argus.
- "Disabled woman who fought for transplant dies - SF Gate". Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- Osborn, Michael (2007-08-31). "Haddon Debut Captures Teen Crisis". BBC. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- "Down's actor tackles Hamlet". This is Cornwall. 2012-05-03. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Lake Oswego rapper -- Laz D -- truly keeps it real". OregonLive.com.
- Lomon, Chris (2003-02-28). "NHL Alumni RBC All-Star Awards Dinner". NHL Alumni. Archived from the original on 2008-05-29. Retrieved 2006-12-08.
- "Yo También on the Internet Movie Database". Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- Hollie McKay. "Actors with Down syndrome in more films, TV; 'Glee' star Lauren Potter says 'we're just like anybody else'". Fox News.
- "Special Olympic Athlete Stars in Movie". Retrieved 2007-11-05.[dead link]
- "Bratislava International Film festival 2004". Retrieved 2007-11-05.
- "Judith Scott: Finding a Voice". Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Salkkarit-Sanna kahmi mitaleja suurpujottelussa: Värisuora lähellä". mtv.fi.
- "Oldenburg Baby - Youth Defence".