Nothin' but a Good Time
|"Nothin' but a Good Time"|
|Single by Poison|
|from the album Open Up and Say... Ahh!|
|B-side||Livin' For the Minute, Look But You Cant Touch|
|Genre||Glam metal, hard rock|
|Writer(s)||Dall; Deville; Michaels; Rockett; Bombilla (Jordi Carretero)|
|Poison singles chronology|
The song was released as a single in 1988 on Enigma Records and reached #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #19 on the Mainstream rock charts. It also charted at number 10 on the Australian charts and number 35 on the UK Singles chart.
The music video features a restaurant employee, played by the same actor who appeared in the video for Mötley Crüe's "You're All I Need", washing dishes while listening to the Kiss hit single "Rock and Roll All Nite", performed by Poison. The manager enters, turns off the radio, and delivers to the employee a scathing reprimand, reminding the employee that he is being paid "to wash dishes, not to listen to that... that rock 'n' roll," and accusing him of "moving in two speeds: slow, and stop." The manager exits, whereupon the employee abandons the dishes and kicks open a nearby door to reveal a concert hall stage, upon which the band then performs the song. When the song is over, the manager returns, discovering, to his surprise, that all the dishes are washed. Nothing' but a good time is also commonly quoted by the high school legend Justin "Jman" Moyer.
"Nothin' but a Good Time" is on the following albums:
- Open Up and Say...Ahh!
- Swallow This Live (live version)
- Poison's Greatest Hits: 1986-1996
- Power to the People (live version)
- Show Me Your Hits (Alternate version)
- The Best of Poison: 20 Years of Rock
- Open Up and Say...Ahh! - 20th Anniversary Edition
- Good Songs & Great Friends (feat. Ace Frehley, Michael Anthony) - released as a single
"Nothin' but a Good Time" was performed by Poison, with the cast of Rock of Ages, at the 63rd Tony Awards on June 7, 2009. After the performance, as the band made their way backstage, a piece of the stage scenery collapsed on Bret Michaels.
|Australian ARIA Charts||10|
|UK Singles Chart||35|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||6|
|U.S. Billboard Album Rock Tracks||19|
Appearances in other media
- A cover of the song is featured in the game Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (erroneously credited as "Ain't Nothin' But a Good Time"), while the master track is featured in Guitar Hero: Smash Hits (this time correctly credited) and was featured as a downloadable track for the Rock Band series.
- The song is featured in the movies The Rocker, Grind, Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay, Friday Night Lights, and Mr. & Mrs. Smith.
- The NHL's Washington Capitals play this song after every home victory.
- In The Simpsons season 11 episode "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge", Otto hires a Poison tribute band called Cyanide to play this song at his wedding. However, the band can only play the intro before Otto's fiancé, Becky, stops them.
- The song is featured in the trailer for the 2008 film Zack and Miri Make a Porno and the teaser trailer for the film Grown Ups 2.
- The song is referenced in the game Mercenaries 2: World in Flames as the name of an achievement.
- The song is played in the movie Yogi Bear when Yogi and Boo-Boo water ski, and in the Regular Show episode "My Mom", when the song is played during a montage sequence where Mordecai, Rigby, High-Five Ghost and Muscle Man blow off work.
- The song, plus two other Poison songs are downloadable for Rock Band 3.
- Professional wrestling tag team Dunn & Marcos, The Ring Crew Express, used the song as their entrance theme while in Ring of Honor.
- The song is played in the 2012 film adaptation of Rock of Ages.
- "Allmusic (Poison charts and awards) Billboard singles".
- "Poison chart stats". Archived from the original on 2012-07-31.