Nothin' to Lose (Kiss song)
|"Nothin' to Lose"|
|Single by Kiss|
|from the album Kiss|
|B-side||"Love Theme from KISS"|
|Released||February 18, 1974 (US)|
|Recorded||Bell Sound Studios,
New York City: 1973
|Genre||Hard rock, Glam rock|
|Label||Casablanca/Warner Bros. NB-0004 (US)|
|Producer(s)||Kenny Kerner & Richie Wise|
|Kiss singles chronology|
"Nothin' to Lose" is a song by the American hard rock band Kiss, released on their self-titled debut album in 1974. It is the first single the band had ever released and the first single off the album, with "Love Theme from KISS" as the B-side. Although the song has failed to chart, it has remained a concert staple during the '70s and was featured on many live albums and compilations.
Gene Simmons, the sole writer of the song, admitted that the song is about anal sex as it chronicles the singer coercing his girlfriend into trying anal sex, and her subsequent enjoyment of it. Gene Simmons and Peter Criss share the lead vocals on the song.
The song is most notable for being the first Kiss song to feature an extra player, as Bruce Foster played piano on the track. His contribution was noted on the sleeve of the album. "Nothin' to Lose" was one of first songs Kiss performed on their first national appearances, on ABC's Dick Clark's In Concert on February 19 (the show aired on March 29). Other songs performed on the show were "Firehouse" and "Black Diamond".
"Nothin' to Lose" was played often during the '70s, but largely ignored during the '80s. In the '90s, the band performed the song on the Kiss Convention (one time with Peter Criss) and MTV Unplugged and during the Psycho Circus show in Los Angeles, CA.
"Nothin' to Lose" has appeared on following Kiss albums:
- Kiss - studio version
- Alive! - live version
- The Originals - studio version
- Kiss Unplugged - live version
- The Box Set - studio version and the Unplugged version
- Gold - studio version
- Kiss Chronicles: 3 Classic Albums - studio version
- Kiss Alive! 1975–2000 - Alive! version
- Kiss Alive 35 - live version
- B-side for Kissin' Time single
- live version appears on the B-side of Shout It Out Loud (live) single
- Gene Simmons - bass guitar, lead vocals
- Peter Criss - drums, lead vocals
- Paul Stanley - rhythm guitar, backing vocals
- Ace Frehley - lead guitar
- Bruce Foster - piano
- "Nothin' to Lose info". Retrieved July 3, 2011.