Notre Dame Academy (Los Angeles, California)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For other schools of the same name, see Notre Dame High School (disambiguation).
Notre Dame Academy
Address
2851 Overland Avenue
Los Angeles, California, (Los Angeles County), 90064
United States
Coordinates 34°2′4″N 118°25′10″W / 34.03444°N 118.41944°W / 34.03444; -118.41944Coordinates: 34°2′4″N 118°25′10″W / 34.03444°N 118.41944°W / 34.03444; -118.41944
Information
Type Private, All-Female
Motto Educating young women to make a difference.
Religious affiliation(s) Roman Catholic
Established 1949
Oversight Archdiocese of Los Angeles
President Nancy Coonis
Asst. Principal Meredeth Vogler
Grades 9-12
Enrollment 379 (2012)
Color(s) Crimson and Gold         
Mascot Regal Gryphon
Team name Regal Gryphons
Accreditation Western Association of Schools and Colleges[1]
Newspaper "The Queen's Press"
Yearbook "Royale"
Tuition $12,500 for all grades (excluding registration and class fees)
Dean of Students Brianna Berlin
Director of Academics Brad Fuller
Admissions Director Brigid Williams
Website

Notre Dame Academy is a private, all-girls Catholic High School located in West Los Angeles, California. Part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles, it was founded in 1949 by the Sisters of Notre Dame. The school's mission is to form women of faith, promote academic excellence, inspire a life of learning, and develop Christian leaders committed to service.

Academics[edit]

The school offers 16 advanced placement classes and 12 honors classes. 100% of its graduates attend college with 96% attending four-year institutions and with the other 4% attending two-year colleges.

Athletics[edit]

Notre Dame Academy provides 9 sports, including:

  • Volleyball
  • Track and Field
  • Basketball
  • Swimming
  • Soccer
  • Softball
  • Cross Country
  • Tennis
  • Equestrian

Performing and Visual Art[edit]

Performing Art programs include:

  • Drama

The school's drama department was invited to the Edinburgh Fringe Theater Festival in the summer of 2006, where they gave four outstanding performances of Bob Carlton's Return to the Forbidden Planet, a parody of William Shakespeare's The Tempest.

  • Choir
  • Dance

Visual Art programs include:

  • Drawing
  • Painting
  • 2-D Design
  • Film
  • Photography

External links[edit]

Notes and references[edit]

  1. ^ WASC-ACS. "WASC-Accrediting Commission for Schools". Retrieved 2009-06-05.