Notre Dame High School (Portsmouth, Ohio)
|Notre Dame High School|
|2220 Sunrise Avenue
Portsmouth, Ohio, (Scioto County), 45662
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Established||1852 as Holy Redeemer School|
|Oversight||Roman Catholic Diocese of Columbus|
|Average class size||18|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Southern Ohio Conference|
|Accreditation||Ohio Catholic School Accrediting Association|
|Average ACT scores||17.4|
|Feeder schools||Notre Dame Elementary School|
|Athletic Director||Mike Sammons|
Notre Dame High School is a private, Roman Catholic high school in Portsmouth, Ohio, which is located in Scioto County in Southern Ohio. It is a part of the Diocese of Columbus. Their mascot is the Titans. The entire Portsmouth Catholic school system was changed in 1984 from Portsmouth Catholic Schools to Notre Dame.
Academics & activities
A large aspect of Notre Dame High School is Titan Pride and Involvement. While the Academic program emphasizes a broad experience of the fundamental disciplines, co-curricular offerings encourage and develop the individual talents and interests of students. A great variety of activities and organizations provide the opportunity for the student body to participate:
- National Honor Society
- Ohio Model United Nations
- Pep Club
- Quiz Bowl
- Spanish Club
- Student Council
- Key Club
- Drama Club
The entire school community is very proud to offer spiritual needs through the open doors of our chapel. The chapel is a statement of beauty and simple elegance with high beamed open ceilings and inspiring stained glass windows.
In helping students gain a better understanding of Jesus' teaching in everyday living, the students are involved in a variety of service projects both inside and outside the classroom. From blood, canned food and clothing drives to festivals and crop walks. Students in all grades participate in various service projects. The seniors provide over 1200 hours of community service in one year. They have the opportunity to work with the others of all ages including the sick and disabled.
There are ten school districts and eleven high schools in Scioto County along with one parochial school as well several private and community schools. The school's athletic affiliation is with the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) and the Southern Ohio Conference (SOC), which has sixteen member schools and is divided into two divisions (SOC I & SOC II) based on the schools' enrollment. Notre Dame is currently in SOC I.
Notre Dame participates in baseball, boys' and girls' basketball, boys' and girls' cross country, football, boys' golf, fast-pitch softball, boys' and girls' swimming, boys' and girls' tennis, boys' and girls' track & field, and girls' volleyball
Notable alumni, coaches, and faculty
- Chuck Ealey — football star
- Ed Miller — former football coach & member of Ohio High School Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame
- John Ross — former football player. Graduated in 1971. Member of University of Toledo Football Hall of Fame (inducted Feb. 1, 2008). One of the first great wide receivers in University of Toledo football history.
- "OHSAA Member School Info". OHSAA. Retrieved 2007-05-10.
- "Ohio County Profiles: Scioto County" (PDF). Ohio Department of Development. Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- "Southern Ohio Conference Constitution and By-laws". Southern Ohio Conference. January 2007.
- "Ohio High School Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame". Retrieved 2007-06-20.
- "Ed Miller's Induction into the Ohio High School Football Coaches Hall of Fame (Class of 1996)" (PDF). Wheelersburg High School. Retrieved 2007-08-06.