Nottingham Business School
|This article is outdated. (January 2014)|
The Nottingham Business School is a full-service business school located in Nottingham, England. The school is part of Nottingham Trent University which was launched in 1992 from the existing Nottingham Polytechnic, however the Nottingham Business School itself has existed since 1980 and celebrated its 30th Birthday in 2010. This milestone coincided with the opening of the regenerated Newton and Arkwright redevelopment project which had transformed two of the university’s flagship buildings (which are both grade II listed) into an ultra-modern complex, linked together by a glazed link building. The Nottingham Business School is now primarily based on levels 7 -9 of the Newton Building. The school offers qualifications ranging from undergraduate bachelors degrees through to postgraduate masters, MBA’s and doctorate degrees.
Professor Baback Yazdani has been the Dean of the Nottingham Business School since 2006. His other roles include; Vice-Chair and member of the Executive Board of UK Association of Business Schools, Professor of Product Development and Chairman of the CBI in the East Midlands.
The Nottingham Business School is divided into five academic divisions:
- Accounting and Finance
- Human Resource Management
- Division of Management
- Division of Marketing
The Business School claims to have links with over 800 companies and 50 academic institutions. Many of its programmes offer its students the opportunity to undertake sandwich year work placements as part of their course, although work placements are not guaranteed.
The Nottingham Business School will launch the UK's first fully sponsored undergraduate Business and Management degrees from 2011. After being approached by Experian and Barclay's, these blue chip companies are now working in parnership with Nottingham Business School to offer these unique degrees which involve working full-time 'in-company' as well as intermediate intensive study at the business school. Upon graduation the student is then rewarded with a graduate level role within the company who they were sponsored by.
In June 2006, Nottingham Business School was recognised by the CIPD as a centre of research excellence. The school is also recognised by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC). The 2008 RAE results confirmed that 80% of research submitted was judged to be of international standard while almost a third of its research was placed in the top two bands of internationally excellent or world leading.
The Nottingham Business School is home to the following five research centres:
- Betting Research Unit
- Centre for Business Performance and Lean Leadership
- International Centre for Public Services Management
- International Centre for Talent Management and Development
- International Fraud Prevention Research Centre
The Nottingham Business School has received accreditations from professional bodies such as the CIPD and the Chartered Institute of Marketing. The school is a member of the Association of Business Schools (ABS), Confederation of British Industry (CBI), the European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD) and the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) but is yet to receive full accreditation from them. Furthermore, the HEFCE has rated the teaching quality at the Nottingham Business School as "excellent", and the latest (2012) Complete University guide ranks the Nottingham Business School at 44 out of a total of 118 listed institutions in the United Kingdom.
- "Business Management (In-Company), BA (Hons) - Courses - Nottingham Business School". Ntu.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "Sponsored degrees - Nottingham Business School - Nottingham Trent University". Ntu.ac.uk. 2011-04-20. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- [dead link]
- "Professional accreditation - Nottingham Business School - Nottingham Trent University". Ntu.ac.uk. 2012-09-12. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- David Byers Updated 33 minutes ago (2012-02-04). "The Times | UK News, World News and Opinion". Timesonline.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-11-30.
- "Business Studies - Top UK University Subject Tables and Rankings 2013". Complete University Guide. Retrieved 2012-11-30.