Nottingham Greyhound Stadium
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (May 2014)|
|Owner||Nottingham Greyhound Stadium Ltd.|
|Operator||Nottingham Greyhound Stadium Ltd.|
|Field size||437 metres (1,434 ft)|
|Opened||24 January 1980|
|Renovated||19 August 2008|
|Expanded||19 August 2008|
Nottingham Greyhound Stadium is a greyhound racing track and stadium on the outskirts of Nottingham, England. It was voted ‘Central Region Racecourse of the Year’ by the British Greyhound Racing Board for 1998-1999 and 2001-2002.
Races at the course are held on Monday, Friday and Saturday evenings as well as an additional BAGS (Bookmakers’ Afternoon Greyhound Service) meeting on Tuesday mornings. The circumference of the track is 437 metres (1,434 ft).
The stadium holds several competitions annually, the most prestigious of which is the Select Stakes, a competition that was originally held at Wembley. After the closure of greyhound racing at Wembley, the event moved to Nottingham in 1997.
Other competitions include:
- The Futurity Cup – January, 500 metres (1,600 ft), puppy event
- The Grolsch Grand Prix – April, 680 metres (2,230 ft)
- The Betfred Select Stayers Stakes – July, 730 metres (2,400 ft)
- The Caffreys Puppy Classic – August, 500 metres (1,600 ft), puppy event
- The National Oaks – September, 500 metres (1,600 ft), bitches only
- The Autumn Puppy Cup – October, 500 metres (1,600 ft), puppy event
- The Produce Stakes – October, 500 metres (1,600 ft), British-bred event
- The Betfred Eclipse – November, 500 metres (1,600 ft)
- The Stadium Bookmakers National Sprint – December, 305 metres (1,001 ft)
- "Track Info: Nottingham Greyhound Stadium". thedogs.co.uk (Greyhound Board of Great Britain website). Greyhound Board of Great Britain. 2009. Retrieved 18 May 2014.