|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)|
|Traded as||NYSE MKT: NBY|
|Headquarters||Emeryville, California, United States|
|Key people||Ron Najafi, Ph.D., CEO
Tom Paulson, M.B.A., CFO
Keith R. Bley, Ph.D., Sr. VP of Product Development
Russell Hoon, Sr. VP of Advanced Wound Care
Ken Krantz, M.D., Ph.D., VP of Medical Affairs
David Stroman, Ph.D., Sr. VP, Ophthalmology
Roy Wu, M.B.A., Sr. VP, Business Development
NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is an Emeryville, California based clinical-stage biotechnology company, focused on developing novel, fast-acting, synthetic anti-infectives compounds. These compounds are designed to mimic the body's defense system against infection and will treat and prevent a wide range of local, non-systemic infections with a low likelihood of developing bacterial resistance.
NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. was founded by Ron Najafi, an organic chemist who had previously worked for several pharmaceutical, chemical and biotech companies in the U.S. In 1996 he with the help of his wife Kelly Farhangi Najafi founded CP Lab Safety to market a product to trap emissions from open waste containers in laboratories. When running CP Lab Safety, Najafi became intrigued by hypochlorous acid, an antimicrobial substance produced by White Blood Cells during oxidative burst. HOCl and other chlorine-containing chemicals fight invading microbes. These natural substances rapidly oxidize the cell walls of bacteria and the protein coats of viruses, rendering them inactive. Najafi started NovaBay Pharmaceuticals in 2000 to create a stable version of HOCl. Najafi, chemistry Nobel Laureate Herbert C. Brown, and Purdue University's Professor Dale Margerum recruited Dr. Lu Wang to NovaBay, where she is now Director of Product Development. She was able to develop the stable version of pure hypochlorous acid, without bleach impurities, which became NovaBay’s first product NeutroPhase®[not in citation given] and cleared by the Food and Drug Administration in 2010. The product successfully treats a variety of chronic non-healing wounds without the use of standard antibiotics. NovaBay announced two new products named CelleRx™ for Plastic Surgery and i-Lid™ Cleanse that was cleared by FDA for lid and lash cleansing as part of a regimen for Blepharitis.
As of September 30, 2013[update], the members of the board of directors of NovaBay Pharmaceuticals were: Ron Najafi, Ph.D., Chairman and CEO, Charles J. Cashion, Paul E. Freiman, Gail Maderis, T. Alex McPherson, M.D., Ph.D., Massimo Radaelli, Ph.D., Mark Sieczkarek and Tony Wicks.
Products on the market
Products under development
Aganocides® - Potent anti-infective agents. The Company calls these new molecules Aganocides®. The lead Aganocide is Auriclosene (NVC-422). They mimic potent bacterial-killing chemicals that the human immune system produces when it first encounters an invader. NovaBay has synthesized several other analogs. NovaBay Aganocide molecules will improve the quality of life for millions of patients with permanent Urinary catheterization, Impetigo, conjunctivitis and other non-systemic infections.
The lead Aganocide compound Auriclosene (NVC-422) is also being developed for the global veterinary markets to improve animal health.
- "NYSE EURONEXT: NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc.".
- "510(k) Summary NeutroPhase® Skin and Wound Cleaner OTC".
- Steven E. F. Brown (February 26, 2014). "NovaBay Pharmaceuticals makes deal for flesh-eating bacteria cleanser". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- for Plastic Surgery"
- NovaBay’s new Advanced i-Lid™ Cleanser has been Cleared by the FDA*for Cleaning, Removing Debris and Microbes from the Skin around the Eyes, the Eyelids and Eyelashes eye lid and lash cleansing as part of a regimen for Blepharitis."
- Hayden, Faith (May 2012). "Perioperative pharmacology Entering into the post-antibiotic era". ASCRS EyeWorld. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "NovaBay Pharmaceuticals Announces Positive Results from Phase 2 Clinical Study of Auriclosene to Reduce Urinary Catheter Blockage and Encrustation" (Press release).
- "Study to Evaluate NVC-422 for Urinary Catheter Blockage and Encrustation".
- "Galderma and NovaBay Enroll First Patients in Phase 2b Clinical Study of NVC-422 for Impetigo" (Press release).
- "NovaBay: Working On An Effective Treatment For Viral Conjunctivitis".
- "Baynovation Clinical Trials".
- "NovaBay Pharmaceuticals and Virbac Enter Into a Collaboration and License Agreement for Animal Health".