Except where noted otherwise, data is given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C (77 °F), 100 kPa)
|what is: / ?)(|
NovaMin is the brand name of a particulate bioactive glass that is used in dental care products for remineralisation of teeth. The active ingredient is the inorganic chemical calcium sodium phosphosilicate. NovaMin delivers silica and ionic calcium, phosphorus, and sodium, which are necessary for bone and tooth mineralization. It was developed and patented by NovaMin Technology, Inc., which was acquired by GlaxoSmithKline in May 2010 for $135 million.
How it works
NovaMin particles bind to the tooth surface and, when the particle comes in contact with saliva and water, reacts with the water to release calcium and phosphate ions. These ions are protected by glass particles so that they can be delivered to specific locations rather than as a liquid solution. Sodium ions in the particles exchange with hydrogen cations, which allows the calcium and phosphate ions to be released. A calcium phosphate layer then forms and crystallizes as hydroxylapatite, a form of hard and strong mineral in teeth. The physical occlusion of dentinal tubules results from both the hydroxylapatite layer and the residual NovaMin particles.
The chemical reaction that leads to hydroxylapatite is:
- 5Ca2+ + 3PO43− + OH− → Ca5(PO4)3(OH)
Availability of products containing NovaMin vary by country, with some available only to dentists, and others available to the retail public.
Notably, despite being invented by a US company and previously available in the US in retail toothpaste, as of 2015[update] NovaMin currently has poor availability in the US, and is not available in GlaxoSmithKline's Sensodyne line.
The following products currently contain NovaMin:
- OSspray Sylc Therapeutic Prophy Powder  (US & EU)
- OSspray Sylc SmarTip Prophy System  (US & EU)
- NUPRO Sensodyne Prophylaxis Paste with NovaMin, used in professional teeth cleaning by dentists and hygienists for cleaning, stain removal and sensitivity relief
- Nanosensitive hca (EU)
- SHY-NM (India)
- Vantej (India)
- Susun (China)
- Odontis-Rx (Brazil)
- Sensodyne Repair and Protect (EU, UK, Canada, India and Brazil) US and German versions do not contain Novamin
- Sensodyne Complete Protection (called Sensodyne Complete Care in AU)
The following products previously contained NovaMin, but were either discontinued or reformulated to no longer contain NovaMin after acquisition by GSK:
- Comparison of RECALDENT (archived version from archive.org)
- Anti-gingivitis effect of a dentifrice containing bioactive glass (NovaMin) particulate 
- A Randomized Parallel Group Clinical Study Evaluating the Efficacy of Three Desensitizing Dentifrices 
- Evaluation of NovaMin as an Adjunct to Fluoride For Caries Lesion Remineralization 
- GSK drops ball with puzzling US release of Sensodyne ‘Repair & Protect’ sans 45S5 glass, May 12th, 2013, Peter Wray