Nova Scotia Department of Education
The Nova Scotia Department of Education is a department of the Government of Nova Scotia responsible for overseeing education institutions in the province. Karen Casey is the current Minister of Education.
The Department of Education mandate spans the education system from school entry through to all post-secondary destinations.
The education system is separated into public schools (Grades Primary to 12) and post-secondary (colleges and universities).
All children must begin school in the year they reach 5 years of age (Grade Primary).
To provide excellence in education and training for personal fulfillment and for a productive, prosperous society.
The Department of Education is headed by an elected official appointed by the Premier:
- Minister of Education: Hon. Karen Casey
and by a senior civil servant called a Deputy Minister:
- Deputy Minister: Rosalind Penfound
The Department of Education is composed of several operational units, including:
- Acadian and French Language Services
- Public Schools
- African Canadian Services
- Education Quality Services
- English Program Services
- Equity and Special Projects
- Evaluation Services
- French Second Language Services
- Learning Resources & Technology Services
- Mi'kmaq Liaison Office
- Regional Education Service
- School Board Labour Relations
- Student Services
- Corporate Policy
- Agencies, Boards and Commissions
- Departmental Library
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
- Corporate Services
- Facilities Management
- Information Technology
- Statistics and Data Management
- Teacher Certification
- Higher Education
- Post-secondary Disability Services
- Private Career Colleges
- Provincial Library
- Student Assistance
- Universities and Colleges
In 2008 the Department of Education underwent significant structural change with the creation of the new Department of Labour and Workforce Development. The former Skills and Learning branch has moved into this new department.
|This Nova Scotia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|