Nova Scotia New Democratic Party leadership elections
This page lists the results of leadership elections held by the Nova Scotia New Democratic Party. The position of party leader was not officially created until the 1966 convention . From the Nova NDP's formation in 1962 until 1966 the party president was James H. Aitchison who served as de facto leader.
1966 leadership convention
(Held in November 1966)
- James H. Aitchison presumably acclaimed
1968 leadership convention
(Held on November 9, 1968)
1980 leadership convention
(Held on November 16, 1980)
1996 leadership convention
(Held on March 30, 1996)
2000 leadership convention
(Held on July 15, 2000)
- Helen MacDonald 193
- Kevin Deveaux 172
- Maureen MacDonald 154
- Dave Peters 47
- Hinrich Bitter-Suermann 31
Second Ballot (Bitter-Suermann eliminated. Peters withdrew):
Third Ballot (Maureen MacDonald eliminated):
2002 leadership convention
(Held on June 2, 2002)
Next leadership convention
A leadership election is expected to be held following the resignation of Darrell Dexter.
- Beck, J. Murray, Politics of Nova Scotia, vol.2. Four East Publications, 1988.
- Carty, Kenneth R et al., Leaders and Parties in Canadian Politics: Experiences of the Provinces. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Canada, 1992.
- Stewart,Ian and Stewart, David K. "Conventional choices : Maritime leadership politics" University of British Columbia Press, 2007.