Nova Scotia Highway 103
|Fishermen's Memorial Highway|
|Maintained by Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal|
|Length:||294 km (183 mi)|
|Existed:||1970s – present|
|West end:||To Trunk 3 Hardscratch Road in Yarmouth|
| Trunk 8 near Liverpool
Trunk 10 near Bridgewater
Trunk 14 near Chester
|East end:||Hwy 102 in Halifax|
The highway follows a route of 294 km (183 mi) along the province's South Shore region fronting the Atlantic coast. The route parallels its predecessor, local Trunk 3. The highway varies from 2-lane controlled access to 2-lane local secondary roads on the section between Yarmouth and Hebbville. East of Hebbville to Upper Tantallon, the highway is 2-lane controlled access, with the exception of a short 4-lane expressway near Chester. From Upper Tantallon (Exit 5), to the interchange with Highway 102 in Halifax, the highway is 4-lane divided freeway.
In 2013, highway was redesignated as Fishermen's Memorial Highway.
The highway has developed sporadically since the 1970s, with the 2-lane controlled access portion to Bridgewater being largely responsible for the abandonment of CN Rail's South Shore line, the former Halifax and Southwestern Railway. In November 2006, construction was completed that twinned 15 kilometers of highway between Exit 3 and Exit 5.
Names of Highway 103
- Fishermen's Memorial Highway - June 2013
- Barrington Bypass - Barrington to Oak Park, Shelburne County
- Nine Mile Road - Sable River to Jordan Falls, Shelburne County
- On May 27, 2007, six people were killed when a car collided with two motorcycles near Blockhouse. It has been considered one of the worst motor vehicle accidents in Nova Scotia's history.
- In 2009, ten people died in automobile accidents on the highway, according to the Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal.
- On November 3, 2010, four people were injured in a head-on collision near Chester.
- On November 13, 2010, one person was injured in a head-on collision with a tractor-trailer near Hubbards.
- On November 20, 2010, three were seriously injured in a head-on crash near Tantallon.
- On May 30, 2011, one person was killed in a single-motor vehicle accident near Pubnico.
- On June 21, 2011, one person was killed in a head-on collision with a tractor trailer carrying 41,000 litres of fuel.
- On August 2, 2011, four people were injured when a pickup truck carrying five people hit a car head-on near Bridgewater. Police stated that the truck crossed the yellow line due to hydroplaning.
- On September 4, 2011, one person was killed in a single-motor vehicle accident near Tantallon.
- On October 1, 2011, two people were killed and one was left in critical condition due to a head-on collision that occurred between Exits 7 and 8.
- On July 21, 2012, one person was killed in a three-car accident that occurred between Exit 5 and Exit 6.
- On November 12, 2012, one person was killed near Liverpool when his car collided head-on with a five-tonne truck.
- On December 9, 2012, a 17-year old male was killed near Clyde River when the vehicle he was in rolled over and he was ejected. The driver suffered minor injuries.
- On June 2, 2013, a 40-year old male was killed near Lunenburg when his car collided with an 18-wheeler.
- On July 20, 2013, two people were killed and two others critically injured when an SUV and a minivan collided head-on near Hubbards
- On August 4, 2013, one person was injured when their motorcycle collided with a car in Hebbs Cross.
- On September 13, 2013, three vehicles were involved in an accident in Lunenburg County when a car rear-ended another vehicle, which then caused an EHS vehicle to end up in a ditch.
- On October 27, 2013, one person was taken to hospital with minor injuries after a two-vehicle collision near Hubbards.
- On November 22, 2013, three people were injured when a pickup truck collided with a car near Liverpool.
- On November 27, 2013, one person was killed when a minivan collided head-on with an SUV near Hebbs Cross. Two other people were taken to hospital with serious injuries.
- "Nova Scotia Roads - Highway 101". Nova Scotia Roads Website. Retrieved 2009-05-30.
- Highway 103 Greatly Improved
- "Nova Scotia's Highway 101 to be widened". CBC News. March 6, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- http://caaneo.ca/about/blog/driving/the-top-12-most-dangerous-highways-in-canada "The Top 12 Most Dangerous Highways in Canada"
- "Police identify victims in highway collision". CBC News. May 29, 2007. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- "Driver of car-crash that killed five last May dies of injuries". The Beach Cruiser. March 9, 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-18.
- 10 most dangerous roads in Canada MSN.ca
- "Woman dies in Highway 103 crash near Upper Tantallon". The Chronicle Herald. July 21, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Highway 103 crash kills driver". CBC News. May 31, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Woman dies after crashing into fuel truck". CBC News. July 21, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "1 dead in Hwy. 103 crash". CBC News. September 4, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Hwy. 103 crash kills two". The Chronicle Herald. October 2, 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Fatal crash closes Hwy 103 for hours". CBC News. November 12, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Teen dies in Highway 103 crash in Shelburne County". CBC News. December 10, 2012. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- Road reopen after fatal head-on crash on Highway 103 CBC News
- Deadly weekend on N.S. roads claims 4 lives CBC News
- Man sent to hospital after Hwy 103 motorcycle crash
- Highway 103 shut down due to accident
- Woman taken to hospital after crash on N.S. highway
- RCMP investigating Highway 103 crash
- Driver killed in Highway 103 crash