|Studio album by Renaissance|
|Released||January 1977 (North America)
August 1977 (rest of world)
|Label||Sire Records (US/Canada)
Warner Bros. Records (world)
Novella was a 1977 album by progressive rock band Renaissance.
Information about the album
Due to the bankruptcy of the band's UK label BTM, this album was released in the USA some months before its UK release, leading to a number of UK fans importing copies. At the time of this original issue, Sire was distributed in the USA by ABC Records; the cover featured unique artwork by Pamela Brown different from that which would be used for its subsequent UK issue. Shortly thereafter, Sire changed distribution in the USA to Warner Brothers and the cover artwork was revised to use the same painting by Ms. Brown as that employed in its UK issue. The 2nd USA issue can most easily be identified by the rendering of the band which takes up the entire back cover; the original ABC Distribution cover features a much smaller painting of the band on the back.
In the USA the album was initially released with unique cover art by Sire Records in March 1977 under its distribution deal with ABC Records, and was assigned the catalog number SA-7526. It was subsequently re-released with revised cover artwork by Sire Records (a Warners subsidiary) with the catalog number SR-6024. In the UK it was given a scheduled release in the same month by CBS with the catalog number S CBS 82137 and although some test pressings were made, the release did not go ahead. The album was eventually released by Warner Brothers in the UK on September 2, 1977 with the catalog number K 56422. It was also released in Japan in 1978 on the Warner Brothers / Pioneer label, catalog number WB P10492W.
- "Can You Hear Me?" (Camp-Dunford-Thatcher) – 13:38
- "The Sisters" (Dunford-Thatcher-Tout) – 7:15
- "Midas Man" (Dunford-Thatcher) – 5:47
- "The Captive Heart" (Camp-Dunford) – 4:16
- "Touching Once (Is So Hard to Keep)" (Camp-Dunford) – 9:27
- Annie Haslam – lead and backing vocals
- Michael Dunford – acoustic guitars, backing vocals
- John Tout – keyboards, backing vocals
- Jon Camp – bass, backing and co-lead (4) vocals
- Terence Sullivan – drums, backing vocals, percussion