Nowhere to Run (1993 film)
|Nowhere to Run|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Robert Harmon|
|Produced by||Gary Adelson
|Starring||Jean-Claude Van Damme
|Music by||Mark Isham|
|Editing by||Mark Helfrich
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|Release dates||January 15, 1993|
|Running time||94 minutes|
Sam Gillen (Jean-Claude Van Damme) is a Québécois convict in the United States who escapes from Federal custody with the aid of his bank-robbing partner. In their last heist, Sam's partner killed a bank guard, a crime for which Sam was ultimately convicted. Sam's partner is killed in the break, forcing Sam to continue on alone. He sets up camp on a piece of farmland owned by Clydie Anderson (Rosanna Arquette), the widowed mother of two kids, Mike (nicknamed "Mookie") (Kieran Culkin) and Bree (Tiffany Taubman).
While sneaking into Clydie's house to "borrow" some salt, Sam catches sight of Clydie taking a shower. The next morning, Sam is spotted bathing outdoors by Mookie. After saving Clydie, Mookie, and Bree from a trio of intruding thugs, Sam learns that Clydie is holding out from selling her land to property developer Franklin Hale (Joss Ackland), who will be put out of business if he does not get Clydie's land so that he can develop on it.
Sam stays in Clydie's barn while repairing her late husband's Triumph motorcycle. Meanwhile Hale has one of his men, Mr. Dunston (Ted Levine), try to force Clydie into selling her land. Secretly on Hale's payroll is the corrupt Sheriff Lonnie Poole (Edward Blatchford), who harbors feelings for Clydie.
A jealous Lonnie discovers Sam's true identity and strongly urges him to leave. Sam complies, only to find the state police chasing him. Sam returns to save Clydie from Dunston and Hale, who have forced her to sign a sale agreement in his absence and are about to burn down her house.
Sam decides to turn himself in to the authorities after he realizes that running away was never the right thing to do. He promises Clydie that he will come back someday.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme as Sam Gillen
- Rosanna Arquette as Clydie Anderson
- Kieran Culkin as Mike "Mookie" Anderson
- Tiffany Taubman as Bree Anderson
- Joss Ackland as Franklin Hale
- Ted Levine as Mr. Dunston
- Edward Blatchford as Sheriff Lonnie Poole
- Anthony Starke as Billy
- James Greene as country store clerk
Nowhere to Run opened January 15, 1993, in 1,745 theaters. In its opening weekend, the film made $8,203,255, at #4 behind Aladdin's tenth weekend, A Few Good Men's sixth, and Alive's first weekend.
The film finally grossed $22,189,039 domestically, just getting back the film's $15 million budget. The film however did perform better internationally, grossing $30,000,000 in other territories for a worldwide gross of $52,189,039.
- Thomas, Kevin (1993-01-18). "Van Damme flexes his acting muscles in 'run'". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- Canby, Vincent (1993-01-16). "A Kickboxer's Evolution Into a Two-Fisted Lawyer". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-11-25.
- "Nowhere to Run". Deseret News. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- "Nowhere to Run". Chicago Sun Times. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- "Nowhere to Run". Washington Post. 1993-01-18. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- "Nowhere to Run". Variety. 1992-12-31. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- Fox, David J. (1993-01-19). "Weekend Box Office `Body' Struggles to Make the Top 5". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Nowhere to Run financials". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database.
- "Nowhere to Run, Box Office Data". The Numbers. Nash Information Services, LLC.
- Nowhere to Run at the Internet Movie Database
- Nowhere to Run at Box Office Mojo
- Nowhere to Run at Rotten Tomatoes