Ntambanana Local Municipality

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Ntambanana
Local municipality
Official seal of Ntambanana
Seal
Location in KwaZulu-Natal
Location in KwaZulu-Natal
Coordinates: 28°35′S 31°44′E / 28.583°S 31.733°E / -28.583; 31.733Coordinates: 28°35′S 31°44′E / 28.583°S 31.733°E / -28.583; 31.733
Country South Africa
Province KwaZulu-Natal
District uThungulu
Seat Bhucanana
Wards 8
Government[1]
 • Type Municipal council
 • Mayor Bhekuyise Justice Biyela
Area
 • Total 1,083 km2 (418 sq mi)
Population (2011)[2]
 • Total 74,336
 • Density 69/km2 (180/sq mi)
Racial makeup (2011)[2]
 • Black African 99.4%
 • Coloured 0.2%
 • Indian/Asian 0.2%
 • White 0.2%
First languages (2011)[3]
 • Zulu 95.6%
 • Southern Ndebele 1.4%
 • English 1.3%
 • Other 1.7%
Time zone SAST (UTC+2)
Municipal code KZN283

Ntambanana is an administrative area in the uThungulu District of KwaZulu-Natal in South Africa.

The municipality is named after the Ntambanana River, which passes through the municipality.[4]

The Ingonyama Trust owns 85% of the land in the municipal area, with the remaining 15% being privately owned by commercial farmers.[5]

Main places[edit]

The 2001 census divided the municipality into the following main places:[6]

Place Code Area (km2) Population
Bhukhanana 53901 22.61 6,348
Biyela 53902 508.06 44,698
Cebekhulu 53903 56.57 7,334
Mambuka 53904 66.50 11,755
Mhlana 53905 7.28 493
Somopho 53907 92.86 12,223
Remainder of the municipality 53906 330.93 1,918

Politics[edit]

The municipal council consists of sixteen members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Eight councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in eight wards, while the remaining eight are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 18 May 2011 no party obtained a majority, and the African National Congress (ANC) and the National Freedom Party (NFP) formed a coalition to govern the municipality. The following table shows the results of the election.[7][8]

Party Votes Seats
Ward List Total  % Ward List Total
African National Congress 8,657 9,297 17,954 43.7 4 3 7
Inkatha Freedom Party 7,468 7,423 14,891 36.3 3 3 6
National Freedom Party 3,840 3,802 7,642 18.6 1 2 3
Independent 584 584 1.4 0 0
Total 20,549 20,522 41,071 100.0 8 8 16
Spoilt votes 366 461 827

References[edit]

  1. ^ "Contact list: Executive Mayors". Government Communication & Information System. Retrieved 22 February 2012. 
  2. ^ a b "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, age in 5 year groups and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012. 
  3. ^ "Table: Census 2011 by district council, gender, language and population group". Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 6 November 2012. 
  4. ^ South African Languages - Place names
  5. ^ "Home". Ntambanana Municipal Website. Retrieved 12 September 2013. 
  6. ^ Lookup Tables - Statistics South Africa
  7. ^ "Results Summary – All Ballots: Ntambanana" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 3 December 2013. 
  8. ^ "Seat Calculation Detail: Ntambanana" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 3 December 2013. 

External links[edit]