Nueces County, Texas
|Nueces County, Texas|
The Nueces County Courthouse in Corpus Christi
Location in the state of Texas
Texas's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Nueces River|
|Largest city||Corpus Christi|
|• Total||1,166 sq mi (3,020 km2)|
|• Land||838 sq mi (2,170 km2)|
|• Water||327 sq mi (847 km2), 28%|
|• Density||406/sq mi (157/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Nueces County // is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 340,223. The county seat is Corpus Christi. The county was formed in 1846 from portions of San Patricio County. It is named for the Nueces River, which flows through the county.
Nueces County is part of the Corpus Christi, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,166 square miles (3,020 km2), of which 838 square miles (2,170 km2) is land and 327 square miles (850 km2) (28%) is water. It borders the Gulf of Mexico.
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 313,645 people, 110,365 households, and 79,683 families residing in the county. The population density was 375 people per square mile (145/km²). There were 123,041 housing units at an average density of 147 per square mile (57/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 72.03% White, 4.24% Black or African American, 0.64% Native American, 1.16% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 18.74% from other races, and 3.13% from two or more races. 55.78% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 110,365 households out of which 36.30% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.80% were married couples living together, 15.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.80% were non-families. 22.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.79 and the average family size was 3.30.
In the county, the population was spread out with 28.40% under the age of 18, 10.50% from 18 to 24, 28.90% from 25 to 44, 21.10% from 45 to 64, and 11.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 95.80 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.50 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $35,959, and the median income for a family was $41,066. Males had a median income of $31,571 versus $22,324 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,036. About 14.70% of families and 18.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.00% of those under age 18 and 15.80% of those age 65 or over.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Nueces County, Texas
- List of museums in the Texas Gulf Coast
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved December 22, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "Texas Almanac: Population History of Counties from 1850–2010" (PDF). Texas Almanac. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nueces County, Texas.|
- Nueces County government's website
- Nueces County in Handbook of Texas Online at the University of Texas
- Historic Nueces County materials, hosted by the Portal to Texas History.
||San Patricio County|
|Jim Wells County||Gulf of Mexico|