Nun danket alle Gott, BWV 192
History and text
BWV 192 is a chorale cantata. It was likely first performed in late 1730, but its exact date and occasion are unknown. It may have been written for a wedding. The original score is no longer extant. The tenor part was lost and was reconstructed by scholar Gunther Raphael.
Scoring and structure
The work has three movements:
- Chorus: Nun danket alle Gott
- Duet aria (soprano and bass): Der ewig reiche Gott
- Chorus: Lob, Ehr und Preis sei Gott
The cantata begins with a chorale fantasia. Unusually, the ritornello is followed not by the chorale melody, but by a four-part dialogue. The first chorale phrase appears in the soprano voice over imitative counterpoint in the lower voices and staccato chords in the accompaniment.
The work ends with another chorale fantasia with a "rollicking gigue melody". It is in ritornello form, with the soprano carrying the chorale melody. As in the first movement, the lower voices sing imitative lines.
- Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra & Choir, Ton Koopman. J.S. Bach: Complete Cantatas Vol. 20. Antoine Marchand, 2002.
- Bach Collegium Japan, Masaaki Suzuki. J.S. Bach: Cantatas Vol. 51. BIS, 2011.
- Frankfurter Kantorei / Bach-Collegium Stuttgart, Helmuth Rilling. Die Bach Kantate Vol. 12. Hänssler, 1974.
- Holland Boys Choir / Netherlands Bach Collegium, Pieter Jan Leusink. Bach Edition Vol. 12. Brilliant Classics, 1999.
- Monteverdi Choir / English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner. Bach Cantatas Vol. 10. Soli Deo Gloria, 2000.
- "Cantata BWV 192 Nun danket alle Gott". Bach Cantatas. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- Mincham, Julian. "Chapter 53 BWV 192". jsbachcantatas. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "Cantata No. 192". Allmusic. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Smith, Craig. "BWV 192". Emmanuel Music. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "BWV 192". University of Alberta. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Cantatas, BWV 191–200: Scores at the International Music Score Library Project, free according to the copyright law of Canada
- Nun danket alle Gott: history, scoring, Bach website (German)
- BWV 192 Nun danket alle Gott: English translation, University of Vermont