Nunavut general election, 2013
The 2013 Nunavut general election, formally the 4th Nunavut general election, was held October 28, 2013, to elect 22 members to the 4th Legislative Assembly of Nunavut. In November 2012 the assembly passed the Nunavut Elections Act 2012, stating that the writs for election drop September 23, 2013, and an election be held October 28, 2013, the proclamation was registered November 9, 2012. At the 2013 forum, held on November 15, 2013, Peter Taptuna was selected as the new Premier of Nunavut.
|Election summary||# of candidates|
The electoral districts have been increased to 22 from 19. This is the first redistribution of boundaries since the territory was created in 1999.
New premier and MLAs
On September 5, 2013, Premier Eva Aariak announced that she would stand for reelection but would not run for the position of premier after the election, paving the way for the 3rd Premier of Nunavut to be chosen. Despite wanting to seek a new position in the Legislature she was defeated in the general election marking the fourth provincial / territorial election in a row that an incumbent Premier has been defeated in his or her riding. A total of seven incumbents did not run for re-election.
In total 73 people registered with Elections Nunavut as candidates. Of these 73 candidates, 12 were incumbents hoping for reelection, and five have been elected in previous territorial elections, four to Nunavut and one to the Legislative Assembly of the Northwest Territories and 56 have not been elected in a territorial election before.
Two ridings were won by acclamation and both of these were returning MLAs. A total of eight ridings were contested solely by candidates who have not been elected in a previous territorial election.
Following is a list of candidates that had filed with Elections Nunavut by 2:00 pm (local time), September 27, 2013. Bold represents winning candidate. All results from Elections Nunavut.
There were ties in two districts. In Rankin Inlet South both Lorne Kusugak and Alexander Sammurtok were tied with 172 votes. An official recount was held November 5 and was still found to be a tie. A by-election will be held on February 10, 2014. In Uqqummiut, Niore Iqalukjuak and Samuel Nuqingaq were tied with 197 votes. After the official recount held November 5 Samuel Nuqingaq was found to have two more votes than Niore Iqalukjuak.
|Candidates by district|
|Aggu||Igloolik (north part)||Paul Quassa
|Amittuq||Igloolik (south part),
|Boundaries redrawn||Louis Tapardjuk(L)|
|Arviat North-Whale Cove||Arviat (north part),
|Joseph Ivitaaruq Kaviok
|Arviat South||Arviat (south part)||Joe Savikataaq
|Baker Lake||Baker Lake||Simeon Mikkungwak
|Cambridge Bay||Cambridge Bay||Keith Peterson
|Clara Hokayak Evalik
|Gjoa Haven||Gjoa Haven||Tony Akoak
|George Sonny Porter
|Hudson Bay||Sanikiluaq||Allan Rumbolt
|Iqaluit-Manirajak||Iqaluit (west part)||Monica Ell
|Iqaluit-Niaqunnguu||Iqaluit (east part)||Pat Angnakak
|Iqaluit-Sinaa||Iqaluit (south part)||Paul Okalik
|Iqaluit-Tasiluk||Iqaluit (north part)||George Hickes
|Netsilik||Taloyoak, Kugaaruk||Jeannie Ugyuk
|Harry J Dialla
|Quttiktuq||Arctic Bay, Grise Fiord,
|Rankin Inlet North-Chesterfield Inlet||Rankin Inlet (north part),
|Rankin Inlet South||Rankin Inlet (south part)||Lorne Kusugak
|South Baffin||Cape Dorset, Kimmirut||David Joanasie
|Mathew Saveakjuk Jaw
|Tunnuniq||Pond Inlet||Joe Enook
|David Qajaakuttuk Qamani
|Uqqummiut||Clyde River, Qikiqtarjuaq||Samuel Nuqingaq
- ^(A) Igloolik was represented by Louis Tapardjuk (Amittuq)
- ^(B) Repulse Bay was represented by John Ningark (Akulliq)
- ^(C) Coral Harbour was represented by Johnny Ningeongan (Nanulik)
- ^(D) Arviat was represented by Daniel Shewchuk (Arviat)
- ^(E) Whale Cove was represented by Lorne Kusugak (Rankin Inlet South/Whale Cove)
- ^(F) Gjoa Haven was represented by Jeannie Ugyuk (Nattilik)
- ^(G) Iqaluit was represented by Eva Aariak (Iqaluit East), Monica Ell (Iqaluit West) and Hunter Tootoo (Iqaluit Centre)
- ^(H) Taloyoak was represented by Jeannie Ugyuk (Nattilik)
- ^(I) Kugaaruk was represented by John Ningark (Akulliq)
- ^(J) Rankin Inlet was represented by Tagak Curley (Rankin Inlet North) and Lorne Kusugak (Rankin Inlet South/Whale Cove)
- ^(K) Chesterfield Inlet was represented by Johnny Ningeongan (Nanulik)
- ^(L) Not running in 2013
|James Arreak||Uqqummiut||Cabinet minister||Undisclosed reasons|
|Moses Aupaluktuq||Baker Lake||Regular member||Spend more time with family|
|Tagak Curley||Rankin Inlet North||Regular member||Spend more time with family|
|John Ningark||Akulliq||Regular member||Undisclosed reasons|
|Daniel Shewchuk||Arviat||Cabinet minister||Undisclosed reasons|
|Louis Tapardjuk||Amittuq||Regular member||Undisclosed reasons|
|Hunter Tootoo||Iqaluit Centre||Speaker||Undisclosed reasons|
- Nunavut Gazett. II 14 (11). November 13, 2013. p. 89. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Murphy, David (November 15, 2013). "MLAs choose Peter Taptuna to serve as Nunavut premier". Nunatsiaq News. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- "Nunavut premier won't seek top job after election". Canada.com. September 5, 2013.
- Oct. 28 Nunavut election attracts 73 candidates
- Find your Constituency
- Results for the constituency of Rankin Inlet South
- "Elections Nunavut: Rankin Inlet South voters go back to the polls Feb. 10". Nunatsiaq News, November 14, 2013.
- Results for the constituency of Uqqummiut
- Nunavut recounts produce one winner and one intractable deadlock
- Results for the constituency of Aggu at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Aivilik at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Amittuq at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Arviat North-Whale Cove at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Arviat South at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Baker Lake at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Cambridge Bay at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Gjoa Haven at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Hudson Bay at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Iqaluit-Manirajak at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Iqaluit-Niaqunnguu at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Iqaluit-Sinaa at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Iqaluit-Tasiluk
- Election Results 2013 General Election at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Pangnirtung at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Quttiktuq at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Rankin Inlet North-Chesterfield Inlet at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of South Baffin at Elections Nunavut
- Results for the constituency of Tunnuniq at Elections Nunavut
- Nunavut’s Oct. 28 election: who’s in, who’s not