Şahin in action for Borussia Dortmund in 2013
|Full name||Nuri Şahin|
|Date of birth||5 September 1988|
|Place of birth||Lüdenscheid, West Germany|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in) |
|Current club||Borussia Dortmund
(on loan from Real Madrid)
|2005–2008||Borussia Dortmund II||7||(1)|
|2007–2008||→ Feyenoord (loan)||29||(6)|
|2012–2013||→ Liverpool (loan)||7||(1)|
|2013–||→ Borussia Dortmund (loan)||26||(4)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:03, 1 November 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Nuri Şahin (German pronunciation: [nyːˈʁiː ˈʃaːhiːn], Turkish pronunciation: [nuːˈɾɪ cäːˈzɯm ˈʃäːhin] ( ); born 5 September 1988) is a Turkish footballer who plays as a midfielder for the German Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund on loan from Real Madrid and the Turkey national football team. Şahin began his career at Borussia Dortmund, spending six years there and winning the Bundesliga in 2011 – including a year-long loan at Feyenoord – before signing for Real Madrid in 2011 for €10 million. In August 2012, Şahin agreed to a one year loan deal with Liverpool, which was terminated in January 2013 to allow him to return to Dortmund on an 18-month loan.
- 1 Club career
- 2 International career
- 3 Playing style
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Career statistics
- 6 Honours
- 7 References
- 8 External links
On 6 August 2005, at the age of 16 years and 334 days, Şahin set a record by becoming the youngest player to have played in the Bundesliga, and on 25 November of the same year became the youngest player to score a goal in the Bundesliga, scoring for Borussia Dortmund against 1. FC Nuremberg.
Şahin returned to Dortmund, where he played an important role in the 2009–10 season, starting 33 out of 34 matches. He ended the season with four goals and eight assists. Şahin won the Bundesliga title with Dortmund in the 2010–11 season. After a strong season, in which he scored seven goals and made eight assists, Şahin was voted best player of the season in the Bundesliga for 2011.
On 9 May 2011, after weeks of speculation, Şahin announced his departure from Dortmund in a press room at Signal Iduna Park. He signed a six-year contract with Real Madrid of La Liga. He stated the main reason to join Real Madrid was because of José Mourinho and the chance of playing for a club as prestigious as Real Madrid. He made his official debut as a substitute in a 7–1 thrashing of CA Osasuna at the Santiago Bernabéu on 6 November 2011, as he had been sidelined by injury problems since August earlier that year. On 20 December 2011, he scored his first goal for Real Madrid as they thrashed SD Ponferradina 5–1 in the Copa del Rey. On 27 March 2012, he was named in the starting XI to face APOEL in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final, where his performance was praised by Mourinho and various newspapers.
On 25 August 2012, Real Madrid agreed to loan Şahin to Liverpool on a season-long deal, where he was given the number 4 shirt. On 2 September 2012, Şahin made his Liverpool debut in the 2–0 home defeat to Arsenal in the Premier League. On 26 September, Şahin scored his first and second goal for Liverpool in the third round of the League Cup against West Bromwich Albion as the game ended in a 2–1 win. He scored his first Premier League goal and setting two goals, three days later in a 5–2 win against Norwich City. In his five month loan spell at Liverpool, Şahin managed to get three goals and three assists in 12 matches. After leaving Liverpool, Şahin said he was never happy at both Real Madrid and Liverpool, though he was happy to get a chance to play with captain Steven Gerrard.
Return to Borussia Dortmund (loan)
On 14 January 2013, Liverpool announced that they had in agreement with all parties terminated the loan agreement with Real Madrid and Şahin, and that this would now allow Şahin to join Borussia Dortmund on loan until the end of the 2013–14 season. Şahin spoke about the deal saying, "I realised that as a footballer and a human being, I belong here 100 per cent." Şahin also said "I noticed quickly that I only want to play for Dortmund." His return move delighted manager Jürgen Klopp. Prior his debut in the friendly match against Mainz, in which Dortmund won on penalties, Şahin said he was quite nervous for his return. Eight days later, he made his first league appearance, since leaving Dortmund, coming on as a substitute in a later minute, as Dortmund defeated Werder Bremen 5–0. On 16 March 2013, Şahin scored two goals in a 5–1 Dortmund victory over SC Freiburg.
On 27 July 2013, Şahin won the 2013 DFL-Supercup with Dortmund 4–2 against rivals Bayern Munich. On 26 October 2013, Şahin scored a goal for Dortmund in the Revierderby against rivals Schalke in a 3–1 win for Dortmund.
Şahin won the bronze ball prize at the 2005 Under-17 World Cup in Peru after a successful tournament with Turkey, finishing in fourth place. Şahin is the youngest player to have played and scored for Turkey. Notably, he scored during his debut which was a match against Germany, the country of his birth.
Şahin was born to Turkish-German parents in Lüdenscheid and grew up in Meinerzhagen. He is married to his cousin Tuğba Şahin. In September 2011, she gave birth to a son, Ömer, in Madrid. Şahin is fluent in five languages, they are Turkish, German, English, Dutch and Spanish.
|2011–12||Real Madrid||La Liga||4||0||1||2||1||1||4||0||0||10||1||1|
|2012–13||Liverpool (loan)||Premier League||7||1||2||1||2||0||4||0||1||12||3||3|
|2012–13||Borussia Dortmund (loan)||Bundesliga||15||3||3||0||0||0||2||0||0||17||3||3|
- As of 14 August 2013
|Turkey national team|
Scores and results table. Turkey's goal tally first:
|1.||8 October 2005||Atatürk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul, Turkey||Germany||2–0||2–1||Friendly|
|2.||24 May 2012||Red Bull Arena, Salzburg, Austria||Georgia||2–0||3–1||Friendly|
- Borussia Dortmund
- Real Madrid
- FIFA U-17 World Championship Bronze Ball: 2005
- FIFA U-17 World Championship Silver Shoe: 2005
- Bundesliga Player of the Season: 2010–11
- ESM Team of the Year: 2010–11
- "Premier League Clubs submit Squad Lists" (PDF). Premier League. 4 September 2012. p. 1. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "Nuri Şahin" (in German). Official website. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Real Madrid to officially announce Nuri Sahin transfer – report". goal.com. 8 May 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- Richardson, Keith (30 December 2005). "Nuri Sahin: "2005 Was My Year!"". Borussia Dortmund. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "Nuri Sahin Joins Feyenoord Rotterdam For One Season". Borussia Dortmund. 6 July 2007. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- "Nuri Sahin profile". ESPN Soccernet. Retrieved 25 May 2010.
- "Dortmund take the title". DFL Deutsche Fußball GmbH. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "New Real Madrid signing Nuri Sahin named Bundesliga Player of the Season for performance with Borussia Dortmund". Goal.com. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- "Nuri Sahin, new Real Madrid player". Real Madrid. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 12 May 2011.
- "Nuri Sahin: I did not move to Real Madrid for the money". turkish-football.com. 9 May 2010. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "Cristiano Ronaldo scores hat-trick as Real Madrid demolish Osasuna". Guardian. 6 November 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- "Real Madrid 7 vs 1 Osasuna". goal.com. 6 November 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- "LFC complete Sahin loan". liverpoolfc.com. 25 August 2012. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "West Brom 1–2 Liverpool". BBC Sport. 26 September 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- "Norwich 2-5 Liverpool". BBC Sport. 29 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Sahin: I wasn't happy at Real Madrid or Liverpool". Goal.com. 29 January 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Sahin pleased with experience of playing with Gerrard at Liverpool". Goal.com. 12 January 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Liverpool confirm Sahin departure". Liverpool FC Official Website. 11 January 2013. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- "Dortmund re-sign Sahin on 18-month loan".
- "Klopp delighted with Sahin arrival". Goal.com. 12 January 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Sahin: I was very nervous ahead of Dortmund comeback". Goal.com. 14 January 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Borussia Dortmund 5 - 1 SC Freiburg". ESPN FC. 16 March 2013. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Dortmund prevail over Bayern in Supercup thriller". bundesliga.com. 27 July 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Dortmund trump Schalke in Ruhr derby". bundesliga.com. 26 October 2013. Retrieved 30 October 2013.
- "Nuri Şahin BVB". bvb.de. 14 January 2013. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Nuri baba oldu" (in Turkish). sabah.com.tr. 20 September 2011. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Hocasından Nuri'ye..." (in Turkish). mackolik.com. 3 September 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Sahin, Nuri" (in German). kicker.de. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Nuri Sahin". transfermarkt.co.uk. Retrieved 15 May 2011.
- "Şahin, Nuri". National Football Teams. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nuri Şahin.|
- Official website (German) (Turkish)
- Nuri Şahin at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Nuri Şahin at Transfermarkt (German)
- Nuri Şahin – FIFA competition record
- Nuri Şahin – UEFA competition record
- Kicker profile