Location of Nurmijärvi in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Kimmo Behm|
|• Total||367.24 km2 (141.79 sq mi)|
|• Land||361.84 km2 (139.71 sq mi)|
|• Water||5.4 km2 (2.1 sq mi)|
|Area rank||257th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||24th largest in Finland|
|• Density||114.55/km2 (296.7/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||97.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||23.9%|
|• 15 to 64||65.3%|
|• 65 or older||10.8%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19%|
The close proximity to Helsinki has led to a considerable growth of the major villages such as Klaukkala and Rajamäki, which nowadays are considered dormitory towns of Helsinki. Klaukkala is the biggest built-up area of Nurmijärvi.
Nurmijärvi literally means "lawn lake" although the lake that gave the municipality its name was drained in the early 20th century and is now nothing more than some flat fields near the village centre.
Nurmijärvi is best known as the birthplace of Finland's national author, Aleksis Kivi (1834–1872). His play Nummisuutarit (The Cobblers of the Heath) – with colourful scenes of rural life in the 19th century Nurmijärvi parish – are performed in summer at an outdoor theatre in Palojoki, the village where Kivi was born.
Results of the Finnish parliamentary election, 2011 in Nurmijärvi:
- National Coalition Party 28.0%
- True Finns 24.0%
- Social Democratic Party 17.8%
- Centre Party 14.4%
- Green League 6.7%
- Left Alliance 4.4%
- Christian Democrats 2.8%
- Swedish People's Party 0.7%
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 30.09.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 17 November 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Nurmijärvi at Wikimedia Commons