Nurse Jackie intertitle
|Created by||Liz Brixius
Anna Deavere Smith
|Opening theme||"Nurse Jackie Theme Song" by Wendy & Lisa|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||6|
|No. of episodes||57 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Liz Brixius
Allen Coulter (pilot only)
Jerry Kupfer (pilot only)
|Location(s)||New York City|
|Camera setup||Single camera|
|Running time||approx. 27 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Caryn Mandabach Productions
Clyde Phillips Productions
Jackson Group Entertainment
Madison Group Elevator
De Long Lumber
|Original run||June 8, 2009 – present|
The show stars Edie Falco as the title character Jackie Peyton, an emergency department nurse at All Saints' Hospital in New York City. For Jackie, "every day is a high wire act of juggling patients, doctors, fellow nurses, and her own indiscretions."
Development and production
Nurse Jackie was created by Liz Brixius, Linda Wallem, and Evan Dunsky with Brixius and Wallem serving as showrunners for the series and sharing executive producer duties with Caryn Mandabach and John Melfi. Showtime ordered an initial 12 episodes. Before the premiere, Brixius told the New York Daily News that "Guys' stories tend to be about conquests – getting the job, winning the Olympics, whatever. Women stories aren't as immediately climactic so they need to play out over the course of three months ... And every medical show out there has been about doctors. Doctors are absolutely unable to do what they have to do without nurses. We want to tell those stories."
The June 8, 2009 series premiere was Showtime's most-successful ever, with 1 million viewers for the premiere and over 350,000 for the repeat broadcast. Showtime immediately picked up the series for a second season. Season Three premiered on Showtime on March 28, 2011. On May 23, 2011, Showtime ordered a fourth season of Nurse Jackie. A fifth season was ordered on May 31, 2012, and production began in late 2012. The season 4 finale aired on June 17, 2012 Season 5 premiered on April 14, 2013.
On June 6, 2013, Showtime renewed Nurse Jackie for a sixth season that premiered on April 13, 2014.
On March 31, 2014, Showtime renewed Nurse Jackie for a seventh season to air in 2015.
Cast and characters
Jackie is described by Showtime as a "strong-willed, iconoclastic New York City nurse juggling the frenzied grind of an urban hospital and an equally challenging personal life," noting that the character has "an occasional weakness for Vicodin, Adderall, Percocet, Xanax, and Oxycontin to get her through the days." The main characters include Dr. Eleanor O'Hara (Eve Best), a British doctor and Jackie's best friend at work; Zoey (Merritt Wever), a jubilant, but inexperienced nursing student from a community college, who "is the perfect foil for Jackie's sharp angles"; Dr. Cooper (Peter Facinelli), "a likable 'golden boy' whose calm façade hides a nervous disposition"; and Eddie (Paul Schulze), a pharmacist with whom Jackie is having an affair".
Other characters include the officious hospital administrator Mrs. Gloria Akalitus (Anna Deavere Smith), Jackie's bar owner husband Kevin (Dominic Fumusa), their daughters Grace (Ruby Jerins) and Fiona (Daisy Tahan season 1 — Mackenzie Aladjem season 2), and Thor (Stephen Wallem), Jackie's kindhearted confidant and the real-life brother of show creator/executive producer Linda Wallem.
Main cast and characters
|Jackie Peyton, RN||Edie Falco||Main|
|Eleanor O'Hara MD||Eve Best||Main||Recurring|
|Ms. Gloria Akalitus, RN||Anna Deavere Smith||Main|
|Zoey Barkow, RN||Merritt Wever||Main|
|Eddie Walzer R.Ph.||Paul Schulze||Main|
|Fitch "Coop" Cooper MD||Peter Facinelli||Main|
|Kevin Peyton||Dominic Fumusa||Main|
|Thor Lundgren||Stephen Wallem||Main|
|Grace Peyton||Ruby Jerins||Main|
|Fiona Peyton||Mackenzie Aladjem||Recurring||Main|
|NYPD Sgt. Frank Verelli||Adam Ferrara||Recurring||Main |
|Dr. Carrie Roman||Betty Gilpin||Recurring||Main|
|Mohammed "Mo-Mo" de la Cruz, RN||Haaz Sleiman||Main|
Recurring cast and characters
|Daisy Tahan||Fiona Peyton||
|Rene Ifrah||Officer Ryan||
|Jaimie Alexander||Tunie Peyton||
|Gbenga Akinnagbe||Kelly Slater||
|Jake Cannavale||Charlie Cruz||
|Bobby Cannavale||Dr. Miguel Cruz||
|Morris Chestnut||Dr. Ike Prentiss||
The premiere of Nurse Jackie was met with generally positive reviews from critics. Entertainment Weekly gave the first episode a B+, stating "Edie Falco brings a genial forcefulness to Nurse Jackie." New York magazine called the Showtime series "smart, acrid, alternately sharp and sentimental" and "the best series yet in the cable channel’s ongoing meditation on the nature of addiction ... and the setting for a truly breakthrough female character". James Poniewozik from Time magazine ranked Nurse Jackie's episode "Tiny Bubbles" (106) as 5th on his Top 10 Episodes of 2009 list. Reception was not entirely positive, with Variety noting, "The series increasingly feels like all style and limited substance – a star showcase that's less 'triumphant return' than 'Nice to have you back, but...'"
Soon after Nurse Jackie premiered, the New York State Nurses Association decried the unethical behavior of the title character, and the detrimental impression regarding nurses that such a portrayal could have on the public, stating, "In the first episode, Nurse Jackie is introduced as a substance abuser who trades sex with a pharmacist for prescription drugs ... She has no qualms about repeatedly violating the nursing Code of Ethics."
In her acceptance speech for the Emmy for Best Actress in a Comedy series, Falco exclaimed "I'm not funny!" Later, while speaking to the press, she expanded upon her statement and said that she too felt her performance was dramatic. Several articles have since been written addressing this question, with some writers even calling for an overhaul of the Emmy categorization process as well as a "Comedy-drama/Dramedy" category for the awards.
Awards and nominations
- 2011 Nomination for Best Television Series-Musical/Comedy
- 2014 Nomination for Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2011 Nomination for Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2010 Nomination for Best Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2013 Nomination for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
- 2013 Nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2012 Nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2011 Nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2010 Nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2013 Nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2013 Won for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (Merritt Wever)
- 2013 Nomination for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series (Bobby Cannavale)
- 2013 Nomination for Outstanding Casting in a Comedy Series
- 2013 Won for Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation – "Teachable Moments"
- 2012 Nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2012 Nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (Merritt Wever)
- 2012 Nomination for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series (Bobby Cannavale)
- 2012 Nomination for Outstanding Casting in a Comedy Series
- 2012 Nomination for Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (half hour)
- 2011 Nomination for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2011 Nomination for Outstanding Casting in a Comedy Series
- 2010 Nomination for Outstanding Comedy Series
- 2010 Won for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (Edie Falco)
- 2010 Nomination for Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series (Eli Wallach) – "Chicken Soup"
- 2010 Nomination for Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series (Allen Coulter) – "Pilot"
- 2010 Nomination for Outstanding Casting in a Comedy Series
- 2010 Nomination for Outstanding Cinematography in a Comedy Series
- 2010 Nomination for Outstanding Main Title Design
- 2010 Won for Outstanding Original Main Title Theme Music
|Country||TV Network(s)||Date of Premiere||Weekly Schedule|
|September 13, 2009
January 11, 2011
February 16, 2011
|Mondays, 9:30 pm
Tuesdays, 11:30 p.m
Wednesdays, 8:30 pm
|Austria||ORF eins||January 10, 2011||Mondays, 10:00 pm|
|June 5, 2011||Sundays, 8:30 pm|
|Bulgaria||TV7||Fridays, 10:00 pm|
|Canada||The Movie Network
|June 8, 2009||Mondays, 10 p.m. ET/9 p.m. PT|
|Croatia||Fox Life||September 7, 2011||Wednesday, 10:00 pm|
|Finland||Nelonen||September 13, 2010||Mondays, 10 p.m.|
|France||Canal+||April 1, 2010||Thursdays, 10:30 p.m|
|Germany||TNT Serie (Season 1–2)||September 1, 2011|
|RTL Nitro (Season 1–4)||April 2, 2012||Monday, 9.00 pm|
|Greece||Universal Channel, SKAI|
|India||FX||Fridays, 5:00 pm|
|Ireland||RTÉ Two||September 15, 2009||Tuesdays, 9:55 pm|
|Israel||Hot 3/Hot 3 HD
|October 21, 2009||Mondays, 10:35 pm|
|Italy||Sky Uno||March 5, 2010||Fridays, 9:00 pm|
|Japan||WOWOW||October 9, 2010
December 25, 2011 (Season 3)
|Saturdays, 11:50 pm
Sundays, 11:25 am
|Kosovo||Fox Life||November 16, 2011||Wednesdays, 8:00 pm|
|Latin America||Studio Universal||February 1, 2010
February 1, 2010
February 7, 2010
|Mondays, 9:00 pm
Sundays, 9:00 pm
|Netherlands||Fox Life/RTL 8|
|New Zealand||TV3||Tuesdays, 9:30 pm|
|March 4, 2010||Thursdays, 10:30 pm|
nFilm HD 2
|September 1, 2009
May 12, 2010
January 13, 2011
Thursdays, 10:35 pm
|Portugal||Fox Life||Thursdays, 9:25 pm|
|Romania||Universal Channel||Sundays, 10:00 pm|
|Serbia||FOX Life||September 7, 2011||Wednesday, 10:00 pm|
|October 3, 2009||Saturdays, 10:45 pm|
|United Kingdom||BBC Two (seasons 1–2)
Sky Atlantic (seasons 3–)
|January 4, 2010
July 5, 2011
|Saturdays, 10:40 p.m (Season 2) Jan 22, 2011+
Tuesdays, 10:00 pm (Season 3)
Calle 13 HD
|April 8, 2010||Thursdays, 9:30 pm|
- The Netherlands: Charlie: A Dutch remake of Nurse Jackie began production for Dutch TV Network, Nederland 3. Starring Halina Reijn, Katja Schuurman, and Benja Bruijning, the show began airing on March 13, 2013.
- Kinon, Cristina (February 16, 2009). "Nurse Jackie star Edie Falco, Mary-Louise Parker, more strong women lift Showtime". New York Daily News (New York). Retrieved March 8, 2009.
- Sullivan, Brian Ford (June 8, 2009). "The Futon's First Look: Nurse Jackie (Showtime)". FutonCritic. Retrieved July 20, 2009.
- Starr, Michael (June 30, 2008). "Nurse Edie: First Look at Sopranos Star's Dark, New Hospital Comedy". New York Post. Retrieved March 8, 2009.
- Krukowski, Andrew (July 18, 2008). "Showtime Orders Nurse Jackie, Grows Weeds". TVWeek.com. Retrieved March 8, 2009.
- "Cable Networks Draw Big Names For New 2009 Series". NBCWashington.com. December 22, 2008. Retrieved March 8, 2009.
- "Showtime Puts Nurse Jackie On Call". Reuters. July 18, 2008. Retrieved March 8, 2009.
- Fowler, Matt (June 9, 2009). "Showtime Orders More Nurse Jackie". TV.IGN.com. Retrieved June 10, 2009.
- Sullivan, Brian Ford (January 14, 2011). "Showtime at TCA: Kennedys, Gigolos, Oh My!". The Futon Critic. Retrieved February 2, 2010.
- "Nurse Jackie Renewed". Seat42f. Retrieved May 23, 2011.
- Nurse Jackie season five | canceled + renewed TV shows. TV Series Finale. Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- "Nurse Jackie Renewed For Season 5". Cinema Blend. Retrieved June 15, 2012.
- Seidman, Robert (January 12, 2013). "Showtime Announces Premiere Dates for 'Nurse Jackie,' 'Dexter' (Returning Early) 'Ray Donovan,' 'Homeland,' 'Masters of Sex' & More". TV By the Numbers. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 6, 2013). "Showtime’s ‘Nurse Jackie’ Renewed For Season 6". Deadline. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- Seat42f. "Showtime Renews Nurse Jackie". Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- O'Connor, Mickey (June 8, 2009). "Snap Judgment: Nurse Jackie". TVGuide.com. Retrieved June 9, 2009.
- Juergens, Brian (December 23, 2008). "Meet the gays of The United States of Tara and Nurse Jackie". AfterElton.com. Retrieved March 8, 2009.
- Tucker, Ken (May 26, 2009). "Nurse Jackie (2009)". EntertainmentWeekly.com. Retrieved June 14, 2009.
- Nussbaum, Emily (May 31, 2009). "Night Nurse: Edie Falco’s ambitious, ambiguous pill-popping healer". NYMag.com. Retrieved July 19, 2009.
- Time Magazine's Top 10 episode list for 2009. Tunedin.blogs.time.com (December 8, 2009).
- Lowry, Brian (June 7, 2009). "Nurse Jackie Review". Variety. Retrieved June 14, 2009.
- Nurse Jackie, BBC Two | TV reviews, news & interviews. The Arts Desk (January 5, 2010). Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- Goodman, Tim (June 9, 2011). "Emmys: Why Comedy Nominees Aren't Funny Anymore". The Hollywood Reporter.
- And the Emmy Award for Best Dramedy Goes To.... Observer. Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- EMMYS: Do We Need A Dramedy Category?. Deadline.com. Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
-  – TV Tonight, August 29
- Nurse Jackie – – About The Show – SHOWTIME AUSTRALIA. Showtime.com.au. Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- Nurse Jackie's Shift Begins Monday, June 8 on The Movie Network and Movie Central. Astralmedia.com (September 26, 2012). Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- Nurse Jackie. Nelonen.fi. Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- Desperate Housewives et Nurse Jackie sur Canal+ en avril. Serieslive.com (March 15, 2010). Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- RTÉ News http://tvsales.rte.ie/programming/drama.htm#prog15
|url=missing title (help).[dead link]
- Nurse Jackie at HOT.net.il (Hebrew)
- Kupfer, Ruta (October 21, 2009). "The Return of Carmela Soprano" (in Hebrew). mouse.co.il. Retrieved November 15, 2009.
- Nurse Jackie. WOWOW. Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- Studio Universal Latin America: Nurse Jackie. Studiouniversaltv.com. Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- Studio Universal Latin America: Nurse Jackie
- N: Kolekcja nSeriale z polskimi premierami – telewizja cyfrowa, VOD, seriale, n, nScreen, nSeriale. media2.pl. Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- Serial „Siostra Jackie” na antenie Universal Channel. Wirtualnemedia.pl (April 13, 2010). Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
- "Siostra Jackie" od stycznia w TVP2 – TVP2, Telewizja Polska. media2.pl. Retrieved on 2012-10-09.
-  – SVT.se, October 4, 2009
- "Nurse Jackie BBC 2". BBC. Retrieved January 4, 2010.
- Deans, Jason (June 15, 2011). "Nurse Jackie moves to Sky Atlantic". The Guardian (London). Retrieved June 14, 2011.
- Official website
- Nurse Jackie at the Internet Movie Database
- Murray, Amanda Sloane (June 5, 2009). "Nurse Jackie: Pilot Review". TV.IGN.com. Retrieved June 10, 2009.
- Nurse Jackie at FOX Next Portugal