Nyack Beach State Park
|Nyack Beach State Park|
A path between the Palisade Sill and the Hudson
|Location||Upper Nyack, Rockland County, New York|
|Area||76 acres (31 ha)|
Nyack Beach State Park is a 76-acre (31 ha) state park in Upper Nyack, Rockland County, New York. It consists of a small parking lot and 61 acres (25 ha) of riverfront pathway, the southernmost section of the Hudson River Valley Greenway. It is known for its physical proximity to the Hudson River on one side of the pathway and the looming cliffs of the Palisades rising 700 feet (210 m) above on the other side. It was declared a National Natural Landmark in April 1980 for its portion of the Palisades Sill and nearby Hook Mountain.
The park offers picnicking, hiking, bicycling, fishing, and cross-country skiing along the pathway. The path is flat and handicapped accessible. The pathway runs for 2 miles (3.2 km) along the river towards Rockland Lake State Park. As the name implies, the park originally included a swimming beach which has been closed for many years due to pollution in the Hudson. There is a possibility the beach will be reopened for swimming due to the improved condition of the river.
Hawks and raptors nest in the cliff and are easily viewed from the pathway. In 1994 there was a harbor seal at the park, and in 1995 a harbor seal spent much of August in the vicinity of the park. There are also fossils and dinosaur footprints in the rocks along the pathway.
- "Nyack Beach, NY". Palisades Park Conservancy. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- "Nyack Beach State Park". New York State Parks. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- Motyka, John (October 2, 1987). "In Nyack, N.Y., Scenic Walks and a Paradise of Victoriana". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- NPS NNL Summary
- "Nyack Beach State Park". Hudson Valley Network. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- Alexander, William (July 10, 2005). "Go Jump in the River". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- Browne, Malcolm W (November 2, 1990). "Buried Treasure a Zillion Years Old". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- New York State Parks: Nyack Beach State Park
- Palisades Park Conservancy
- NY-NJTC: Nyack Beach State Park Details and Trail Info