Nzizi Power Station
|Nzizi Power Station|
|Commission date||2017 (Expected)|
|Owner(s)||Tullow Oil & Jacobsen Electro|
|Primary fuel||natural gas|
|Secondary fuel||heavy fuel oil|
The power plant is planned to be constructed in Nzizi, near the Nzizi Natural Gas & Oil Field, in the Kaiso-Tonya Area, in Hoima District in the Western Region of Uganda. Kaiso and Tonya are small settlements, about 17 kilometres (11 mi) apart, on the eastern shores of Lake Albert. This location lies approximately 54 kilometres (34 mi), by road, west of Hoima, the nearest large town and the location of the district headquarters. The approximate coordinates of the power station are:1° 30' 0.00"N, 30° 55' 48.00"E (Latitude:1.5000; Longitude:30.9300). The coordinates are approximate because the power station has not yet been built.
Nzizi Power Station is a planned joint project by Tullow Oil Uganda Limited, who will supply the fuel and Jacobsen Electricity Company (Uganda) Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Jacobsen Elektro, an independent Norwegian power production company, who will construct and operate the plant.
The plant will primarily use natural gas to heat water and produce steam that will turn the turbines to produce electricity. If need be, the plant will also be designed to use heavy fuel oil, a byproduct of petroleum distillation, as an alternative fuel. The Nzizi Natural Gas & Oil Field from which the power station will draw its fuel, has confirmed reserves of at least 14,000,000 cubic metres (490,000,000 cu ft) of natural gas. The power generated will be evacuated along a 132kV transmission line to a substation in Hoima, where the power will be integrated into the national power grid. According to Uganda Government officials construction is expected to commence in 2016 and last 10 months, with commissioning in 2017.
The total cost for the power plant is estimated at US$170 million (UGX:437 billion). Of that, US$25.5 million (UGX:65.5 billion), representing 15% of the total, will be contributed by the Ugandan Government.
- "Gas: Not The Main Meal But A Useful Side Dish". Oilinuganda.org. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Kaiso And Tonya With Map". Gloefeed.com. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Hoima And Kaiso With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Tullow, Oil (28 July 2011). "Map Showing Location of Nzizi Gas & Oil Field". Tullow Oil. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Musisi, Frederic (4 June 2013). "What Lies Ahead for Uganda’s Gas". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Mbanga, Jeff (28 May 2014). "Norwegian Energy Firm Interested In Uganda’s Gas Reserves". Deep Earth International. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Wesonga, Nelson (15 December 2014). "Uganda Looks To Increase Use of Thermal Electricity". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- Wesonga, Nelson (9 June 2014). "Norwegian Company to Build 100MW Power Plant In Hoima". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 9 June 2014.