Ó Conchubhair Donn
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
The coat of arms of the O'Conor Don are, Argent an oak tree eradicated and adorned proper. For a crest, An arm embowed in armour holding a short sword entwined with a serpent all proper. As a Chief of the Name, the O'Conor Don is granted the privilege of bearing supporters in his armorial achievement.
|Parent house||Uí Briúin Ai / Síl Muiredaig|
|Current head||Desmond O'Conor Don|
The O'Conor Don (Ó Conchubhair Donn in Irish) is the Chief of the Name of the Clan Ó Conchubhair, titular Prince of Connacht and senior descendent of the last High King of Ireland. The current O'Conor Don is Desmond O'Conor Don who lives in Sussex in England.
The Ó Conchubhair Donn is the senior head of a lineage which provided about one hundred Kings of Connacht, thirty Chief of the Name and two High Kings of Ireland, namely Tairrdelbach Ua Conchobair (1088–1156), and his son Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair (c. 1115–1198).
During the late 14th century, the Ó Conchubhair dynasty grouped into two main divisions, one led by Toirdealbhach Ruadh, the other by Toirdealbhach Og (also called Toirdealbhach Donn), both in the seventh generation of descent from Cathal Crobhderg. From these descended the families of Ó Conchubhair Ruadh and Ó Conchubhair Donn.
O'Conor Nash of Clonalis
On the death in 1981 of Rev. Charles O'Conor Don SJ, Clonalis House, the ancestral seat of the O'Conor Don Family, passed to his sister Gertrude O'Conor Nash instead of his cousin and senior male successor as Chief of the Name and Prince of Connacht Denis O'Donor Don (1912–2000). Consequently, for the first time, the family title and family seat were separated although remaining within the wider O'Conor family.
The O'Conor Nash family now reside at Clonalis House where they maintain the O'Conor archives.
Family tree I
- Kg. = King of Connacht
Tairrdelbach, King of Connacht & Ard Rí na hÉireann, 1106 –1156. | ______________________________|____________________________________________ | | | | Ruaidrí, King of Connnacht & Ard Rí na hÉireann, c.1115–1198. Cathal Crobhdearg, 1153–1224, Kg. 1202–24. =Mor Muman Ní Briain, d. 1218 | __________________________________________________________________________| | | | | Áed, Kg. Conn. 1224–28. Fedlimid, Kg. Conn 1230–31; 1233–65. died 1265. | | |________________________________ __________|___________ | | | | | | | | | | Cathal Dall Ruaidrí Toirrdelbach, Kg. 1249–50. Áed, kg. 1265–74. Áed Muimnech, Kg. 1274–80. | | | | | | Áed, Éoghan, Kg. 1274 Tadg Ruad, Kg. 1274-8. Kg. 1274. | _____________|___________________ | | | | Donnchad Áed, Kg. 1293–1309. | | | |__________________________________________________ Ruaidrí na Fed | | | Kg. 1316;d. 1321. | | | Fedlimid, Kg.1310–15;16. Cathal na bhFeadh Toirredlbach, Kg 1317–18;24–42;43–45. | died 1361. | | | Ó Conchubhair Ruadh Ó Conchubhair Donn
Family tree II
- Kg. = King of Connacht
Toirredlbach, Kg 1317–18;24–42;43–45. | __________________________|_________________________
| | | | Aedh, Kg. 1345–50; 51–53; 53–56 Ruaidhri, Kg. 1368–1384 | | | ______|_________________
| | | | | | Toirdhealbach Donn, Kg. 1384–1406 Cathal, kg.1406–1439 Eoghan, d.1421
| | | | | | Aedh, Kg. 1439–61 Feidhlimid Gengcach, Kg. 1461–75 Tadc Ua Ruaidhri, Kg. 1475–76 | | |_____________________ | | | | Ruaidhri, d.1473 Aedh Eoghan Caoch, Kg. 1476–1495 | __________|_____________________
| | | |
Toirrdhealbach Og Conchobar Cairbre Aodh
Sir Hugh/Aedh Ó Conchobhair Donn mac Diarmada mac Cairbre
Family tree III
Sir Hugh/Aedh Ó Conchobhair Donn mac Diarmada mac Cairbre, d. 1627. =Mary ni Brian Ó Rourke, King of Breifne | |____________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | Calvach Aedh Óg Cathal (1597–1634) Bryan Roe =Anne Mulloy | _____________________|____________ | | | | Major Owen of Belangare Cathal Óg of Belangare dspm 1692 =Finola Ni Fhlionn of Ballinlough | | Denis O'Conor Don (1674–1750) =Máire, inion Colonel Tiernan Ó Rourke | _______________________________|__________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | Daniel Thomas, Charles O'Conor Don (1710–91) Aedh/Hugh Elinor Anne d. 1769 Officer =Catherine ni Fagan in France | | | _________________________|__________________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | Dominick Alexander Jane Denis O'Conor Don (1732–1804) Charles Bridget d.1777 dsp 1795 d. unm 1820 =Catherine Browne of Cloonfad = Myles MacDermot | _________________________________|______________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | Owen O'Conor Don, 1763–1831. Rev. Charles Matthew Catherine Mary Elizabeth =Jane Moore of Mount Browne 1764–1828 1773–1844 | |_____________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | Denis O'Conor Don (1794–1847) Edward Jane Catherine =Mary Blake of Tower Hill | |________________________________________________________________________________________ | | | | Charles Owen O'Conor Don, M.P. (1838–1906) Denis Maurice O'Conor Don, M.P. (1840–83) =Georgina Perry | | | |______________________________________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | Charles (1869–1917) Owen (1870–1943) Hugh (1872–1939) Roderick (1872–73) Charles O'Conor Don (1878–1963) =Ellen More Ó Ferrall =Evelyn Lowry-Corry | | ______________________________________|_______________________________________ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | Charles Mary Gertrude Eva Josephine Helen Fearga Georgina | 1906–81. d.1953. =Rupert Nash d.1989. d.1980. b.1910. d.1986. b.1916. | | | ___________________| | | | | Denis Armar O'Conor Don, 1912–2000. | | | =Elizabeth Marris =Rosemay O'Connell Hewett Latatia Rosalind Pyers O'Conor-Nash | |_________________________ | | | | | | | | Desmond Kieran Rory Gail (d. aged 13 13) =Virginia Anne Williams = Karena Morton | | ___________|_________ Eoin Roderick - Hugh Armar | | Emma Philip Denise =Rebecca Jane Eagan | _______________________________ | | | Eochy Piers Adelaide Barley
Chiefs of the Name
- Toirdhealbhach Óg Donn mac Aodha meic Toirdhealbhaigh, d. 9 December 1406.
- Cathal mac Ruaidhri Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 19 March 1439.
- Aodh mac Toirdhealbhaigh Óig Ó Conchobhair Donn, d.15 May 1461.
- Feidhlimidh Geangcach mac Toirdhealbhaigh Óig Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1474 – last fully recognised King of Connacht.
- Tadhg mac Eoghain Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1476.
- Eoghan Caoch mac Feidhlimidh Gheangcaigh Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1485.
- Aodh Og mac Aodh Ó Conchobhair Donn, died ?
- Toirdhealbhach Óg mac Ruaidhri Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1503
- Conchobhar mac Eoghain Chaoich Ó Conchobhair Donn, d.?
- Cairbre mac Eoghain Chaoich Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1546
- Aodh mac Eoghain Chaoich Ó Conchobhair Donn, deposed 1550
- Diarmaid mac Cairbre Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1585
- Sir Hugh/Aedh Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1632
- An Calbhach mac Aedh Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1654 – popularly inaugurated king in 1643.
- Hugh Óg mac Aedh Ó Conchobhair Donn, d. 1662.
- Major Owen O'Conor Don of Belangare, d.s.p.m. 1692
- Cathal Óg O'Conor Don of Belangare, d. 1696
- Denis O'Conor Don, 1674–1750
- Charles O'Conor Don, 1710–1791
- Denis O'Conor Don of Belangare, 1732–1804
- Owen O'Conor Don of Clonalis, 1763–1831
- Matthew O'Conor Don, 1773–1844 – popularly acclaimed 'king' in 1830s.
- Denis O'Conor Don of Clonalis, 1794–1847
- Charles Owen O'Conor Don, 1838–1906
- Charles O'Conor Don, 1869–1917
- Owen Phelim O'Conor Don, 1870–1943
- Fr. Charles O'Conor Don, 1906–1981
- Denis O'Conor Don, 1912 – 10 July 2000
- Desmond O'Conor Don (Chairman of the British-Chile Chamber of Commerce, former banker, resides in Sussex)
- Ó Conchobhair Sligigh
- Clan Muircheartaigh Uí Conchobhair
- Gaelic nobility of Ireland
- Chief of the Name
- Irish nobility
- Irish Royal Families
- Chief Herald of Ireland
- Curley, W. Vanishing KIngdoms. Dublin. Lilliput Press.
- O'Connor, Roderic, A Historical and Genealogical Memoir of the O'Connors, Kings of Connaught, and their Descendants. Dublin: McGlashan & Gill. 1861.
- O'Donovan, John and the Rt. Hon. Charles Owen O'Conor Don, The O'Conors of Connaught: An Historical Memoir. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, and Co. 1891.