OCVTS Performing Arts Academy
|Performing Arts Academy|
|180 Frederick Avenue
Lakehurst, NJ 08733
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Ocean County Vocational Technical School|
|Faculty||23.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||192 (as of 2010-11)|
|Student to teacher ratio||8.35:1|
Ocean County Vocational Technical School Performing Arts Academy or PAA for short is a specialized, public high school program which concentrates heavily on the fields of performing arts such as dance, vocal music, and theater, serving students from all of Ocean County, New Jersey. Located in Lakehurst, it is the sister high school of Marine Academy of Technology and Environmental Sciences, another full-time program that is also part of the Ocean County Vocational Technical School district. Because the school is a full-time program, students take both their performance major and academic courses at the school.
As of the 2010-11 school year, the school had an enrollment of 192 students and 23.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 8.35:1. There were 5 students (2.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 2 (1.0% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 173rd out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 139 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (78.5%) and language arts literacy (95.3%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
PAA relies heavily on block scheduling; each year is broken up into two semesters and each semester consists of four 80-minute, 5-credit classes. Every class offered is either an honors course or college-prep course because the high school is designed to test and challenge the brightest students both academically and in performance.
- Administration, Ocean County Vocational Technical School. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- Data for Performing Arts Academy, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 10, 2012.
- Performing Arts Academy, Ocean County Vocational Technical School. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 6, 2012.
- School website
- Ocean County Vocational Technical School website
- Ocean County Vocational Technical School's 2010–11 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Ocean County Vocational Technical School, National Center for Education Statistics
|This New Jersey school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|