|Public (SIX: OERL)|
|Industry||Industrial engineering and manufacturing|
|Founded||1973 as Oerlikon-Bührle Holding AG|
|Headquarters||Pfäffikon, Schwyz, Switzerland|
|Tim Summers, Chairman of the Board of Directors
Brice Koch, CEO
|Revenue||2.88 billion CHF (2013)|
Number of employees
OC Oerlikon (former Unaxis) is a Swiss technology conglomerate with a wide range of divisions and products. The different activities are organized as business units: Oerlikon Balzers for coating services, Oerlikon Leybold Vacuum for vacuum solutions and Oerlikon Textile for textile technology, etc.
The roots of today's OC Oerlikon are to be found in the Werkzeugmaschinenfabrik Oerlikon, which was founded in 1906, and later evolved into the Oerlikon-Bührle Holding AG in 1973. After a restructuring process and the sale of some core assets, the holding changed its name to Unaxis.
The Austrian Victory Industriebeteiligung AG bought a majority of Unaxis stock in 2005 in a highly emotional battle and initiated a restructuring effort.
In May 2006, the company decided to rename itself into OC Oerlikon, a reference to its roots. The "OC" in the name stands for "One Company".
Following the economic downturn in 2008 and 2009, the company went through an operational restructuring involving lay-offs and major changes in the management team. A proposal for recapitalisation was met with approval at the Annual General Meeting on May 18, 2010. The recapitalisation reduced the group's debt by CHF 998 million and brought the company CHF 276 million in new liquidity.
In 2013, the business units Natural Fibers and Textile Components from the segment Oerlikon Textile were divested to the Chinese Jinsheng Group.
In 2014, Oerlikon acquired Metco from Sulzer AG. Metco was integrated into the coating segment and the segment renamed Surface Solutions.
OC Oerlikon consists of the following five segments:
- Segment Manmade Fibers (Oerlikon Barmag and Oerlikon Neumag)
- Segment Drive Systems (Oerlikon Graziano and Oerlikon Fairfield)
- Segment Vacuum (Oerlikon Leybold Vacuum)
- Segment Surface Solutions (Oerlikon Balzers and Oerlikon Metco)
- Segment Advanced Technologies (Oerlikon Systems)
- "Press Release 03.05.13". OC Oerlikon. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- Neue Zürcher Zeitung: Aus Unaxis wird OC Oerlikon, May 24, 2006
- "Historical Milestones". OC Oerlikon website. Retrieved 11 October 2012.
- "Oerlikon in Russia". Retrieved 2013-12-26.
- "Oerlikon buys coatings unit from sulzer". Retrieved 2014-10-21.