OGMA

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
OGMA - Indústria Aeronáutica de Portugal
Type Anonymous society
Industry Aerospace / Defense
Founded 1918
Headquarters Alverca do Ribatejo, Portugal
Key people Almir Borges, CEO, Rodrigo Rosa, CFO
Products Aircraft MRO / Manufacturing subassemblies, aircraft maintenance services, manufacturing
Employees 1,520
Parent EMPORDEF, Airholding
Website www.ogma.pt

OGMA – Indústria Aeronáutica de Portugal S.A., originally Oficinas Gerais de Material Aeronáutico, is an aerospace company dedicated to the maintenance of aircraft and aircraft engines, as well as to the manufacturing of aircraft components and to aircraft engineering and logistic support. It is situated in Alverca, approximately 15 km north of Lisbon, and employs a workforce of 1,520[1] and has a 3 km runway.[2]

History[edit]

OGMA was originally founded as part of the reorganization of the Portuguese Army's Aeronautic Service (Portuguese: Serviço Aeronáutico) of July 29, 1918, under the name Parque de Material Aeronáutico (Aeronautics Material Depot), with the responsibility of storing, repairing, manufacturing, and providing aeronautical material, as well as providing training to military aeronautic specialists and technicians.[3] The depot was activated on August 26, 1918, in Vila Nova da Rainha, and was later in September, 1919, moved to its current installations in Alverca.

In 1928 the depot was renamed Oficinas Gerais de Material Aeronáutico (OGMA). With the reorganization of the military aviation services of the Army and Navy in 1950 and the creation of Portuguese Air Force in 1952, OGMA was transferred to this new military branch.[4][5]

On February 14, 1994, the workshops of OGMA were converted into a anonymous society owned by the Portuguese government and had its name changed to OGMA - Indústria Aeronáutica de Portugal, S. A.[6] In 1996, a new reorganization of the government-owned defense industries in Portugal led to the creation of a new holding company, EMPORDEF, with the shares of OGMA and the control of the company being transferred to this company.[7]

In 2005 the company was privatized through the sale of 65% share of OGMA's capital being acquired by Airholding, SGPS, SA, a consortium made of Embraer and EADS, with the Portuguese state holding the remaining 35% through EMPORDEF.[8] In 2012 Embraer acquired from EADS the remaining shares of Airholding.[9][1]

On July 10, 2006, OGMA inaugurated the Executive Jets Center, created to improve the maintenance services of the Embraer Legacy 600 and future business jets developed by Embraer.

Services[edit]

OGMA currently holds a wide range of domestic and foreign customers, both civil and military, and is authorised maintenance centre for Embraer, Lockheed Martin, Eurocopter, and Rolls-Royce. Some aircraft maintained by OGMA include: C-130 Hercules, P-3 Orion, F-16 Fighting Falcon, Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet, CASA C-212, Embraer ERJ 145 family, Embraer E-Jets, Airbus A320 family, Embraer Legacy 600/650, Embraer Lineage 1000, AgustaWestland EH101, and EADS CASA C-295.[10]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

Notes[edit]

  1. ^ "OGMA’s New Website Launched". OGMA. August 8, 2006. Retrieved July 14, 2013. 
  2. ^ "Company profile". OGMA. August 8, 2006. Retrieved July 14, 2013. 
  3. ^ Decreto-Lei nº 4526
  4. ^ Decreto-Lei nº 143/52 (Portuguese). June 28, 1952
  5. ^ Decreto-Lei nº 29/62 (Portuguese). February 9, 1962
  6. ^ Decreto-Lei nº 37/94 (Portuguese). February 14, 1994
  7. ^ Decreto-Lei nº 287/96 (Portuguese). December 12, 1996
  8. ^ "Shareholder News". OGMA. July 7, 2006. Archived from the original on May 24, 2007. Retrieved July 14, 2013. 
  9. ^ "Embraer compra participação portuguesa na Airholding" (in Portuguese). March 16, 2012. 
  10. ^ "Our Portfolio". OGMA. Retrieved July 14, 2013. 

Bibliography[edit]

  • Pinto, Renato Fernando Marques (2010). "As Indústrias Militares e As Armas de Fogo Portáteis no Exército Português". Revista Militar (Revista Militar). Retrieved March 3, 2013. 
  • Tavares, João Moreira (2006). Indústria Militar Portuguesa [Portuguese Military Industry] (in Portuguese). Lisbon: Caleidoscópio. ISBN 9789728801793. 
  • Martins, Luís Manuel (2005). Oficinas gerais de material aeronáutico : apontamentos para a sua história : o Parque de Material Aeronáutico 1918-1928 (in Portuguese). Coimbra. 

External links[edit]