ORP Ślązak (L26)
Ślązak returning home after the Dieppe Raid
|Career (United Kingdom)|
|Commissioned:||17 April 1942|
|Decommissioned:||28 September 1946|
|Identification:||Pennant number: L26|
|Commissioned:||27 April 1953|
|Out of service:||1976, after running ashore in the Maldives|
|Identification:||Pennant number: D92|
|Fate:||scrapped in 1979|
|Class & type:||Hunt-class destroyer|
|Displacement:||1050 tons standard
1490 tons full load
|Length:||85.3 m (280 ft)|
|Beam:||9.6 m (31 ft)|
|Draught:||2.4 m (7 ft 10 in)/3.9 m (13 ft)|
|Speed:||27 kn (50 km/h; 31 mph)|
|Range:||2,500 nmi (4,600 km; 2,900 mi) at 20 kn (37 km/h; 23 mph)
3,700 nmi (6,900 km; 4,300 mi) at 14 kn (26 km/h; 16 mph)
|Armament:||6 x 102 mm QF 4 inch Mk XVI naval guns (3 twin turrets)
4 x 40 mm pom-pom cannons
2 to 4 20 mm Anti Aircraft cannons
2 depth charge launchers
4 depth charge throwers
|Notes:||powered by 2 shaft steam turbines 19,000 hp (14,200 kW)|
After World War II, she was leased to the Indian Navy in 1953, where she served as a training ship until 1976. She was scrapped in 1979.
History as ORP Slazak
Ślazak was commissioned on 17 April 1942. During the Second World War she took part in 32 patrols and escorted 104 convoys. Ślązak was one of eight Hunt-class ships that took part in the Dieppe Raid. At Dieppe she saved 85 soldiers of the Royal Regiment of Canada, trapped at the beach after landing. During the invasion of Normandy she was supporting the landing at Sword beach. She was the lead destroyer for the lead flotilla of minesweepers that morning, which was symbolic because the invasion of Poland by German forces had initiated the conflict. As a convoy escort her crew shot down five enemy aircraft (and possibly three more).
After the war she was decommissioned in 1946 and transferred back to the Royal Navy.
History as INS Godavari
HMS Bedale was leased to the Indian Navy in 1952. She underwent a refit by the Cammell Laird shipyard at Birkenhead, and was commissioned as INS Godavari on 27 April 1953. In April 1959, the lease was converted into a sale.
- Kozłowski, Wiszenko: ORP Ślązak L26, polishgreatness.com
- Stacey, Colonel C.P. (1967) . Six Years of War; The Army in Canada, Britain and the Pacific. Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War 1. Ottawa: Queen's Printer. p. 345.
- STEPHEN HUEBL: CPT. ROMUALD NALECZ TYMINSKI - Polish Canadian, 1905-2003, stefanbatoryoceanliner.weebly.com
- Ambrose, Stephen E. (1994). D-Day June 6, 1944 the climactic battle of World War II (Hardback. ed.). New York [u.a.]: Simon and Schuster. p. 256. ISBN 978-0-671-67334-5.
- Hiranandani, G. M. (2005). Transition to Eminence: The Indian Navy 1976-1990. Lancer Publishers, p. 22. ISBN 8170622662
- "HMS Bedale". Naval History website. Retrieved 2011-08-09.