||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (December 2012)|
|Founded||1980 in San Leandro, CA, USA|
|Founder(s)||J. Patrick Kennedy|
|Headquarters||777 Davis St, San Leandro, CA, USA|
|Key people||J. Patrick Kennedy
|Products||PI System · PI ProcessBook · PI Server · PI DataLink · PI Coresight|
|Owner(s)||J. Patrick Kennedy|
OSIsoft, LLC is a worldwide manufacturer of Application software for real-time data infrastructure solutions, called the PI System. Founded in 1980, OSIsoft, LLC is privately held and headquartered in San Leandro, CA, with operations worldwide.
OSIsoft, LLC markets software used to capture, process, analyze, and store data relating to manufacturing processes. Using data from such sources as automated control systems, its applications monitor and analyze production processes to find ways to streamline operations. OSIsoft also offers Web-enabled applications to distribute the data across corporate intranets and the Internet, and it can integrate the data into other enterprise applications. The company has more than 14,000 clients in the manufacturing, energy, utilities, life sciences, and process industries.
Software Products include:
- PI System (Enterprise infrastructure for management of real-time data and events)
- PI Server (Real-time data collection, archiving, and distribution engine)
- PI Coresight (an intuitive, web-based tool that delivers fast, easy, and secure access to all your PI System data)
- PI ProcessBook (Process Graphic design and display)
- PI Asset Framework (PI AF)
- PI Advanced Computing Engine (PI ACE) (Event driven custom logic, advanced equations)
- PI DataLink (Add-in to Excel for tabular data analysis)
- PI WebParts (Web based graphical and tabular display of PI System data)
Unlike a DCS or HMI that can display real-time data within a short term time horizon, the PI System allows manufacturing sites to view data real-time as well as easily look back at data from years ago. There are times when it's useful to graphically overlay or compare tabular data from multiple time ranges (ex. compare a current production campaign against a known good production run from a year ago).
The OSIsoft PI System with real-time data acquisition offers a central repository for data through a facility or across multiple locations. Information can be automatically collected from many different sources (Control systems, Lab equipment, Calculations, Manual Entry, and/or Custom software). Most information is gathered using one of the many OSIsoft and third party PI Interfaces. Users can then access this information using a common set of tools (ex. Excel, web browser, PI ProcessBook) and look for correlations:
- Analyze seasonal trends
- Determine if utilities is not meeting the demands of production
- Compare the performance of different lots of raw material
- Determine when maintenance is required on equipment
- Optimize the utilization or performance of a production line
Lit San Leandro, a business associated with OSIsoft, has built a fiber-optic loop in the city of San Leandro, linking high tech and other businesses. They have also proposed providing a high speed fiber optic network for the industrial corridor in nearby Hayward.
- Official website
- Yahoo Biz
- Managing Automation
- Rockwell Automation Announces OSIsoft Joint Development and Licensing