|Parent company||Warner Music Group|
Noah "40" Shebib
|Distributor(s)||Warner Bros. Records|
|Genre||Hip hop, R&B, PBR&B|
|Country of origin||Canada|
OVO Sound is a Canadian record label founded by rapper Drake, his longtime friend Noah "40" Shebib and Oliver El-Khatib in 2012. The label is based in Toronto, Ontario. OVO Sound consists of Drake and in-house producers 40, Boi-1da, T-Minus, Mike Zombie along with recording artists PartyNextDoor, Majid Jordan, ILoveMakonnen, and OB O'Brien. The label's releases are currently distributed by Warner Bros. Records (Warner Music Group).
Starting in 2007 Drake's early mixtapes such as Comeback Season and So Far Gone were released under the unofficial record label, "October's Very Own" as he was unsigned at the time. Drake then began building up his October’s Very Own brand by shouting out to OVO on his songs, releasing music and selling OVO merchandise on their website.
The record label was then officially founded in 2012 by Drake and Noah "40" Shebib. According to Billboard, Drake shortly signed a partnership deal with Warner Bros. Records for the label. Similar to how Rick Ross is signed as a solo artist to Def Jam and his artists on his Maybach Music Group label are signed to Atlantic Records (formerly signed to Warner Bros. Records), Drake will still be signed as a solo artist to Republic Records through Young Money/Cash Money, but the artists he signs to OVO Sound release8807s will be distributed through Warner Bros. Records.
Upon founding the label Drake and 40 signed frequent collaborators Boi-1da, T-Minus, and later Mike Zombie to the label as in-house producers. In late April 2013 it was reported that Drake was close to signing the label's first recording artist, PartyNextDoor, which he ended revealing shortly thereafter. In August 2013, Drake announced that he signed Toronto music duo Majid Jordan to OVO Sound. In 2014, Drake signed ILoveMakonnen to OVO Sound, and soon after released his remix of Tuesday with Makonnen.
- Ian "3035" Clark
OVO Fest is an annual concert at the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre hosted by Drake in Toronto, Canada which began on August 2, 2010. The annual event is held on the Civic holiday long weekend, also known as Caribana weekend in Toronto, a popular Caribbean festival in Toronto. OVO fest is famous for the special guests Drake brings to his hometown of Toronto. The first annual OVO Fest on August 2, 2010 included Rick Ross, Bun B, Young Jeezy, Fabolous, Kardinal Offishall, Eminem, and Jay-Z. The second annual OVO fest in 2011 featured guests included The Weeknd, Rick Ross, J. Cole, Lil Wayne, Nas, and Stevie Wonder. The third annual OVO Fest was on August 5, 2012 which included Nicki Minaj, 2 Chainz, The Weeknd, ASAP Rocky, French Montana, Waka Flocka Flame, Meek Mill, Rick Ross, and Snoop Dogg. The fourth annual OVO Fest was held at the Molson Amplitheatre in Toronto on August, 4 and 5, 2013. The event was to be co-headlined by Frank Ocean, James Blake and Wale among the many special guests. Frank Ocean however had to pull out due to an injury to his vocal chords. Additional guests at the 2013 OVO Fest included The Weeknd, Big Sean, J. Cole, French Montana, Ma$e, ASAP Rocky, TLC, Lil Wayne and a surprise final guest Kanye West. The 5th Annual OVO Fest featured Lauryn Hill, J Cole, YG, Trey Songz, 50 Cent, G-Unit, Bun B, Tinashe, PartyNextDoor, OB Brien, Majid Jordan, DJ Khaled, Outkast and Usher.
- PartyNextDoor - PARTYNEXTDOOR (July 1, 2013) (OVO Sound/Warner)
- Drake - Nothing Was the Same (September 24, 2013) (OVO Sound/Aspire/Young Money/Cash Money/Republic)
- Majid Jordan - A Place Like This (July 22, 2014) (OVO Sound/Warner)
- PartyNextDoor - PARTYNEXTDOOR TWO (July 29, 2014) (OVO Sound/Warner)
- ILoveMakonnen - ILOVEMAKONNEN (December 15, 2014) (OVO Sound/Warner)
- Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late (2015) (OVO Sound/Aspire/Young Money/Cash Money/Republic)
- Drake - Views From the 6 (2015) (OVO Sound/Aspire/Young Money/Republic)
- Drake’s OVO Sound Label Teams Up With City of Toronto to Create Music Committee
- "Drake's OVO Label Flies To Warner Bros. Records - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. 2012-12-05. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- Ugwu, Reggie. "Drake's OVO Record Label Inks Deal With Warner Bros. | News". BET. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "10 Artists That Should Sign To Drake's OVO Sound - Page 7 of 11 - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2013-08-12. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Listen to PARTYNEXTDOOR, Drake's New Artist Signing to OVO (Soon) - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2013-04-22. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "Drake Wants New Single To Be Played At Weddings". XXL.
- Listen: PARTYNEXTDOOR "Wus Good/Curious" | Complex
- Drake’s OVO Signee PARTYNEXTDOOR Drops Self-Titled Debut
- Drake Signs ILOVEMAKONNEN To OVO Sound - HotNewHipHop
- ILoveMakonnen Signs To Drake’s OVO Sound - Billboard
- Drake Wants New Single To Be Played At Weddings - XXL
- "Drake Affiliate OB O’Brien Makes His Debut With ‘Steve Nash’". The Boombox.
- "Drake's Childhood Friend OB O’Brien Drops Single 'Steve Nash'". vibe.com.
- x/interviews/id.2054/title.boi-1da-shares-stories-behind-drake-s-started-from-the-bottom- Boi-1da Shares Stories Behind Drake's "Started From The Bottom" | Rappers Talk Hip Hop Beef & Old School Hip Hop | HipHop DX
- 5 Things We Learned From Drake's "Started From the Bottom" | Vibe
- OVO Producer Mike Zombie Chats With Fans About Drake’s Style, Advice from 40 | HHU | thehiphopupdate.com
- Drake "Hold On We're Going Home" | Complex
- PartyNextDoor – PartyNextDoor | SOHH.com | 5 Reasons
- Nostro, Lauren. "A Guide to Who's Who in OVO". Complex. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "Drake’s OVO Festival Highlights feat. Jay-Z, Eminem, Young Jeezy and more (photos/video)". MissInfo.tv. 2010-08-02. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "Drake’s OVOFest 2011 With Lil’ Wayne, Stevie Wonder, Nas, J.Cole, Rick Ross, and The Weeknd (Video)". MissInfo.tv. 2011-08-01. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "OVO Fest 2012: Drake Shows Toronto Love with Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & More". Billboard. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- Drake Announces 4th Annual OVO Fest Lineup | Complex
- Wale OVO | Complex
- Drake Is Bringing Out Everyone At OVO Fest Tonight | Complex
- Drake Brings Out Kanye West For OVO Fest | Complex
- [ http://noisey.vice.com/en_ca/blog/we-took-pictures-of-everyone-at-the-fifth-annual-ovo-festival | Noisey]
- [ http://noisey.vice.com/en_ca/blog/drake-fifth-annual-ovo-fest-lauryn-hill-usher-g-unit-and-more | Noisey]