O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht, BWV 118
O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht (O Jesus Christ, light of my life), BWV 118, is a church cantata composed by Johann Sebastian Bach. It was written around 1737 and was performed at the grave-side ceremony for Count Friedrich von Flemming on October 11, 1740. This work, along with Lobet den Herrn, alle Heiden, BWV 230 is included as a motet in the New Bach Edition, though both of the works fall partly outside the norms of the motet genre. "O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht" has been characterized as "something between a cantata movement and a motetic choral transcription."
- "Cantata BWV 118 O Jesu Christ, mein’s Lebens Licht Commentary". Bach Cantatas. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- Martin Geck, John Hargraves Johann Sebastian Bach: His Life and Work 2006 Page 467
The first source is the score.
General sources are found for the Bach cantatas. Several databases provide additional information on each single cantata:
- Cantata BWV 118 O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht history, scoring, sources for text and music, translations to various languages, discography, discussion, bach-cantatas website
- BWV 118 – "O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht" English translation, discussion, Emmanuel Music
- O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht history, scoring, Bach website (German)
- BWV 118 O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht English translation, University of Vermont
- BWV 118 O Jesu Christ, meins Lebens Licht text, scoring, University of Alberta