Oak, Nebraska

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Oak, Nebraska
Village
Downtown Oak: north side of Maple Street
Downtown Oak: north side of Maple Street
Location of Oak, Nebraska
Location of Oak, Nebraska
Coordinates: 40°14′14″N 97°54′11″W / 40.23722°N 97.90306°W / 40.23722; -97.90306Coordinates: 40°14′14″N 97°54′11″W / 40.23722°N 97.90306°W / 40.23722; -97.90306
Country United States
State Nebraska
County Nuckolls
Area[1]
 • Total 0.15 sq mi (0.39 km2)
 • Land 0.15 sq mi (0.39 km2)
 • Water 0 sq mi (0 km2)
Elevation 1,588 ft (484 m)
Population (2010)[2]
 • Total 66
 • Estimate (2012[3]) 65
 • Density 440.0/sq mi (169.9/km2)
Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6)
 • Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5)
ZIP code 68964
Area code(s) 402
FIPS code 31-35245
GNIS feature ID 0831792[4]

Oak is a village in Nuckolls County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 66 at the 2010 census.

Geography[edit]

Oak is located at 40°14′14″N 97°54′11″W / 40.23722°N 97.90306°W / 40.23722; -97.90306 (40.237287, -97.902920)[5].

According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.15 square miles (0.39 km2), all of it land.[1]

Demographics[edit]

Historical population
Census Pop.
1910 237
1920 201 −15.2%
1930 218 8.5%
1940 177 −18.8%
1950 131 −26.0%
1960 125 −4.6%
1970 100 −20.0%
1980 79 −21.0%
1990 68 −13.9%
2000 60 −11.8%
2010 66 10.0%
Est. 2012 65 −1.5%
U.S. Decennial Census[6]
2012 Estimate[7]

2010 census[edit]

As of the census[2] of 2010, there were 66 people, 30 households, and 15 families residing in the village. The population density was 440.0 inhabitants per square mile (169.9 /km2). There were 38 housing units at an average density of 253.3 per square mile (97.8 /km2). The racial makeup of the village was 98.5% White and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.5% of the population.

There were 30 households of which 33.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.7% were married couples living together, 3.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 50.0% were non-families. 40.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.20 and the average family size was 3.07.

The median age in the village was 33.5 years. 25.8% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.6% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 33.4% were from 25 to 44; 25.8% were from 45 to 64; and 7.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 54.5% male and 45.5% female.

2000 census[edit]

As of the census of 2000, there were 60 people, 31 households, and 15 families residing in the village. The population density was 405.1 people per square mile (154.4/km²). There were 36 housing units at an average density of 243.1 per square mile (92.7/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 100.00% White.

There were 31 households out of which 25.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.7% were married couples living together, and 48.4% were non-families. 41.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 25.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.94 and the average family size was 2.63.

In the village the population was spread out with 20.0% under the age of 18, 13.3% from 18 to 24, 16.7% from 25 to 44, 18.3% from 45 to 64, and 31.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 114.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 118.2 males.

As of 2000 the median income for a household in the village was $21,875, and the median income for a family was $27,500. Males had a median income of $19,688 versus $12,500 for females. The per capita income for the village was $11,460. There were 5.0% of families and 17.5% of the population living below the poverty line, including 46.2% of under eighteens and 19.0% of those over 64.

History[edit]

Local legend has it that Oak was named for a tree which was used for hanging.

Notable people[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-06-24. 
  2. ^ a b "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-06-24. 
  3. ^ "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29. 
  4. ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. 
  5. ^ "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. 
  6. ^ United States Census Bureau. "Census of Population and Housing". Retrieved October 16, 2013. 
  7. ^ "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Retrieved October 16, 2013.