Oak Grove High School (San Jose, California)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
|Oak Grove High School|
|Oak Grove High School memorial|
|285 Blossom Hill Road
San Jose, California, United States
|School district||East Side Union High School District|
Royal Blue (Traditional)|
Oak Grove High School is a secondary school located in San Jose, California which serves students in grades 9–12. Average student enrollment is 2800 students, compared to the state average of 900 students. The school is part of the East Side Union High School District (ESUHSD). As of 2010, the principal is Martha Brazil.
Oak Grove High School has a history of athletic success, particularly in football (C.C.S. Champion years: '78, '86, '97, '99, '04, '07, and 08'), basketball, track, soccer, and many other sports competitions. The school's mascot is the eagle.
The use of badges was discontinued for the 2010-2011 school year because of budget cuts.
Students must have 220 credits; including:
- English — 40 credits (4 Years)
- Social Studies — 30 credits (3 Years)
- 1 year of World History
- 1 year of United States History
- 1 semester of American Government
- 1 semester of Economics
- Mathematics — 20 credits (2 Years)
- 1 year of Algebra 1 / Course 1 or higher
- Science — 20 credits (2 Years)
- 1 year of Bio. Science
- 1 year of Physical Science
- Physical Education — 20 credits (2 Years)
- Fine Arts or Foreign Language — 10 credits (1 year)
- Electives — 80+ credits
Elective Courses may be selected from the following areas:
- Consumer & Homemaking Ed.
- English, Foreign Language
- Industrial Ed.
- Physical Ed.
- Social Science
- Vocational Ed. (CCOC)
- Unit Requirement:
The unit requirement for graduation is 220. To complete the unit requirement, students may select the elective courses listed above. The California High School Exit Exam (or CAHSEE) is also a requirement for graduation.
- Proficiency Requirement:
Students must pass mathematics, reading, and writing proficiency examinations. Students in designated special programs shall meet proficiency requirements contained in their individual education programs.
As of the 2011/2012 school year, the following Advanced Placement are offered at Oak Grove High School.
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Calculus BC
- AP Computer Science
- AP English Language and Composition
- AP English Literature and Composition
- AP Spanish
- AP United States History
- AP United States Government and Politics
- AP Environmental Science
- AP Art History
- AP World History
- AP Psychology
- AP Chemistry
- AP French
- AP Biology
- AP Physics
- Academy of Finance
- Academy of Hospitality and Tourism
- Anime Club
- Art Club'
- Art History Appreciation
- Black Student Union
- Bullying Club
- Calculus Club
- Chess Club
- Christian Club
- Club Everytown
- California Scholarship Federation (CSF)
- Environmental Action Club (EAC)
- Filipino Student Union
- French Club
- Gay-Straight Alliance
- Interact Club
- Junior Statesmen of America (JSA)
- Key Club
- Knitting Club
- Kpop Club
- National Honors Society (NHS)
- Paintball Club
- Polynesian Club
- Red Cross Club
- Rock Climbing Club
- StarCraft Club (SCC)
- Tech Deck Club
- Theatre Club
- Vietnamese Student Union (VSU)
Oak Grove High School's official mascot are the Eagles.
The Varsity Football Team won 7 CCS Open School Titles. Mike Holmgren (now Cleveland Browns' President) was an assistant coach for the Eagles when they won the CCS title in 1978. Only nine freshmen ever made the varsity football team since 1967, not counting playoffs, and a total of 28 sophomores made the varsity.
In 2008, Cal-Hi Sports named Varsity Football Head Coach Ed Buller was named as California's High School Football Coach of the Year award after leading the eagles to a victory in the 2008 Open Division Central Coast Section for varsity football.
Every year, monologues and one-act plays are performed by the Advanced Drama classes. There, students are allowed to come watch the shows during class periods. Along with Drama, Musical Theatre also hosts the annual Broadway Review in December and the Senior Show, directed by seniors, in May. In addition, the drama department puts on a fall play and spring musical. Recent productions include Grease, Chicago, The Miracle Worker, Cabaret, Alice in Wonderland, The Wiz, Annie, To Kill a Mockingbird, Fiddler on the Roof, Our Town, and You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
Spirit Week is annually held during the week of the Homecoming Dance. During Spirit Week, class competitions and spirit days are held. The freshmen, sophomore, junior, and senior class all wear their class colors. On the Friday of the Homecoming Rally, a skit called Spirit Patrol is performed by graduating seniors. Spirit Patrol is a senior directed skit and it is where the seniors cross dress with their partners and perform a dance during the rally. Spirit Patrol has been part of the homecoming tradition since 1992.
Fantastics is an annual night rally held by the ASB Officers and Leadership Class students. Fantastics consists of a class skit, class pyramid, and various class competitions. 2009 was the first that Oak Grove held Fantastics, an event that almost every district of the East Side Union High School District hosts. The inaugural theme of OGHS's Fantastics was "Super Heroes". At the time, the freshmen's super hero theme was Power Rangers, the sophomore's Super Mario Brothers, the junior's Justice League, and the senior's theme Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Notable alumni of Oak Grove High School include:
- Mike Brown, Major League Baseball player
- Andre Carter, NFL player
- Eric Frampton, NFL player
- Ben Fritz, Professional Baseball Player
- Mark Grieb, AFL player
- James Hodgins, NFL player
- Wes Hofmann, Stand-Up Comedian 
- Mike Holmgren, (teacher), NFL coach
- Johnny Khamis, councilmember on the San Jose City Council
- Christina Kim, LPGA
- André LaMothe, Computer Scientist, Author Game Development, 3D Computer Graphics, Embedded Systems
- Marty Mornhinweg, NFL coach
- Marcus Reese, NFL player (former)
- Tim Ryan, NFL player (former)& NFL Color Analyst
- Dave Stieb, MLB player
- Mike Villines, former Assemblyman from Clovis, CA. Served as Minority Leader.
- Michael Whelan, artist/illustrator
- Gibril Wilson, NFL player
- Deandre Brackensick, Contestant on Season 11 of American Idol.