Oak Ridge, Louisiana
|Village of Oak Ridge|
|Elevation||89 ft (27.1 m)|
|Area||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2)|
|- land||1.0 sq mi (3 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||143.2 / sq mi (55.3 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Oak Ridge is located at (32.623659, -91.774355).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.6 km2 (1.0 sq mi), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 142 people, 63 households, and 38 families residing in the village. The population density was 143.2 inhabitants per square mile (55.4/km²). There were 72 housing units at an average density of 72.6 per square mile (28.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 91.55% White, 7.75% African American, and 0.70% from two or more races.
There were 63 households out of which 28.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.1% were married couples living together, 4.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.1% were non-families. 34.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 25.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the village the population was spread out with 24.6% under the age of 18, 4.2% from 18 to 24, 26.1% from 25 to 44, 23.2% from 45 to 64, and 21.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 89.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $37,500, and the median income for a family was $70,417. Males had a median income of $75,287 versus $24,583 for females. The per capita income for the village was $25,408. There were 9.8% of families and 17.5% of the population living below the poverty line, including 17.5% of under eighteens and 33.3% of those over 64.
Notable natives and residents
- Edwards Barham, Oak Ridge farmer and former Republican member of the Louisiana State Senate, who served from 1976-1980.
- Robert J. Barham, was appointed as the Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries in 2008. He is a former Republican state senator and a younger brother of Edwards Barham.
- Tammie McDaniel, one of three appointees of Governor Bobby Jindal to the Louisiana State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education in 2008.
- Abner Wimberly, NFL player for the Green Bay Packers.
Starr Homeplace http://www.starrhomeplace.org/pandemoniafoundation/index.htm
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Oak Ridge Progress Community Progress Site for Oak Ridge, LA