Oakland Gardens, Queens, New York
|Neighborhoods of New York City|
Bell Boulevard & 77th Avenue
|• Median income||$54,031|
|Area code(s)||718, 347, 917|
Oakland Gardens is a middle class neighborhood in the northern part of the Bayside borough of Queens. The neighborhood is bounded to the north by the Long Island Expressway, to the east by Alley Pond Park, to the south by Union Turnpike, and to the west by Cunningham Park. Whitestone is to the north, and Queens Village and Bellerose are to the south and southeast, respectively. The neighborhood is part of Queens Community Board 11. Tax documents received by homeowners identified this area as Bayside. Schools and Banks located in this area also listed their address as Bayside although if you're a bank's customer, your address in your statements will reflect Oakland Gardens. Bank personnel said it is because of the 11364 zip code.
Fredrick Newbold Lawrence built a mansion in the area in 1847 called "The Oaks", and the neighborhood's name probably derives from that estate. Many people refer to Oakland Gardens as "southern Bayside" because of its proximity and similarity to Bayside, Queens. Its zip code of 11364 is shared with parts of Bayside to the north.
- Queensborough Community College, part of the City University of New York
- Benjamin N. Cardozo High School has its Leonardo da Vinci program, which is often regarded as one of the best public high schools in New York City, is located in nearby Bayside.
The 2 schools are adjacent to each other and are on the former site of the Oakland Golf Club.
- P.S. 46 The Alley Pond School
- P.S. 205 Alexander Graham Bell Elementary School
- M.S. 74 Intermediate School Junior High School on Oceania St
Media related to Oakland Gardens, Queens at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a location in Queens, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|