Oakland Mills, Columbia, Maryland
|Named for||Oakland Mill|
Neighborhoods in the village of Oakland Mills include Steven's Forest, Talbott Springs, and Thunder Hill.
The name Oakland Mills comes from an old mill in the local area.
Steven's Forest is named for a land grant of a similar name, Stevens's Forest, patented to Charles Stevens in 1709. Streets in Steven's Forest are named for works of John Dos Passos, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Ernest Hemingway.
The community center is in The Other Barn, which was once part of the Owings Dorsey Dairy Farm.
Each neighborhood has an outdoor pool.
The Columbia Ice Rink is also part of the Oakland Mills Village Center complex, administered by the Columbia Association.
Oakland Mills High School is located in the village; students from both Oakland Mills and Owen Brown attend. There are three elementary schools, Stevens Forest Elementary School, Thunder Hill Elementary School, and Talbott Springs Elementary School, and one middle school, Oakland Mills Middle School, within the village.
- "Map", columbiavillages.org, accessed May 30, 2009
- Kellner, Barbara."The Neighborhood of Oakland Mills", columbiamaryland.com, accessed May 30, 2009
- "Oakland Mills Shop and Dine", oaklandmills.org, accessed May 30, 2009
- "The Meeting House", themeetinghouse.org, accessed May 31, 2009
- "The Other Barn", oaklandmills.org, accessed May 30, 2009
- "Outdoor Pools", columbiaassociation.net, accessed May 30, 2009
- "Schools", oaklandmills.org, accessed May 30, 2009