Vermilion County's location in Illinois
|• Total||0.93 sq mi (2.4 km2)|
|• Land||0.93 sq mi (2.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||646 ft (197 m)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Oakwood is a village in Oakwood Township, Vermilion County, Illinois, United States. It is part of the Danville, Illinois Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,502 at the 2000 census, and 1,427 in 2009.
Oakwood is located at (40.112068, -87.776352).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 0.93 square miles (2.4 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,502 people, 621 households, and 435 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,669.8 people per square mile (644.4/km²). There were 639 housing units at an average density of 710.4 per square mile (274.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 99.33% White, 0.13% African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.07% Asian, and 0.27% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.53% of the population.
There were 621 households out of which 34.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.3% were married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.8% were non-families. 25.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the village the population was spread out with 26.5% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 24.8% from 45 to 64, and 13.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 92.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.5 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $41,477, and the median income for a family was $44,583. Males had a median income of $31,107 versus $23,320 for females. The per capita income for the village was $18,655. About 7.8% of families and 8.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.5% of those under age 18 and 10.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Darrin Fletcher, catcher for several Major League Baseball teams.
- Angela Watson, actress (Step by Step)
- Oakwood Grade School
- Mascot: "Stars"
- Oakwood Junior High School
- Mascot: "Knights"
- Oakwood High School
- Song: "Cheer, Cheer, for old Oakwood's fame. Wake up the echoes cheering her name. Send the volley cheer on high. Shake down the thunder from the sky. What though the odds be great or small, old Oakwood High will win overall, while her loyal sons are marching onward to victory. Repeat."
- "USGS detail on Oakwood". Retrieved 2007-09-30.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.