Oasis of the Zombies
|Oasis of the Zombies|
|Directed by||Jesús Franco|
|Produced by||Marius Lesoeur|
|Written by||Jesús Franco|
|Music by||Daniel White|
|Edited by||Claude Gros|
Oasis of the Zombies (originally called L'Abîme des Morts-Vivants / The Abyss of the Living Dead) is a 1982 film directed by Jesús Franco for French producer Marius Lesoeur.
The plot involves treasure hunters who track down a lost fortune in Nazi gold in the desert, only to discover that the treasure is still guarded by the Afrika Korps soldiers transporting it, who have become zombies.
- Manuel Gelin
- France Jordan
- Jeff Montgomery
- Myriam Landson
- Eric Saint-Just
- Caroline Audret
- Henry Lambert
The film has also been released over the years as Bloodsucking Nazi Zombies, El deierto de los zombies, The Grave of the Living Dead, and The Treasure of the Living Dead.
Franco filmed a "Spanish version" simultaneously with the French version (under the title La tumba de los Muertos Vivientes), probably to placate Lina Romay (since the French producer had chosen other actors to be in the "real version"). That version has never been released outside of Spain, if at all.
Writing in The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia, academic Peter Dendle stated the film has had a negative reception, but it "presents a simple, unhurried, and unpretending appreciation of zombies and their habitat, a fresh and provocative desert landscape." Ian Jane of DVD Talk rated it 3/5 stars and wrote, "It's terrible, but somehow trance inducing in its own bizarre way." Gordon Sullivan of DVD Verdict wrote, "It's really a mess of tepid Eurosleaze masquerading as a zombie flick, and it doesn't even do that well."
- Dendle, Peter (2001). The Zombie Movie Encyclopedia. McFarland & Company. pp. 128–129. ISBN 978-0-7864-9288-6.
- Jane, Ian (2013-02-09). "Oasis of the Zombies: Remastered Edition (Blu-ray)". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2015-02-07.
- Sullivan, Gordon (2013-03-08). "Oasis of the Zombies (Blu-ray)". DVD Verdict. Retrieved 2015-02-07.
- L'abîme des morts vivants (1981) at the Internet Movie Database
- La tumba de los muertos vivientes (1983) at the Internet Movie Database
- Oasis of the Zombies a.k.a. Oasis of the Dead at AllMovie
- Negative review at Something Awful