Cover of Obama's Wars by Bob Woodward
|Subject||Political science, United States, Afghanistan, Barack Obama|
|Publisher||Simon & Schuster|
|Publication date||September 27, 2010|
|Media type||Print, ebook, audiobook|
|Preceded by||The War Within: A Secret White House History (2006-2008)|
Obama's Wars is a 2010 book written by Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist Bob Woodward. The book was published by Simon & Schuster and released on September 27, 2010. It focuses on the internal debates and divisions within the Obama administration regarding the handling of the United States' involvement in the ongoing Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Woodward was interviewed by ABC News anchor Diane Sawyer to promote the book as well as PBS journalist Charlie Rose.
White House response
In comments made to the press on September 22, 2010, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs responded to the book by stating, "I will say I think that the book portrays a thoughtful, vigorous policy process that led us to a strategy that gives us the best chance at achieving our objectives and goals in Afghanistan." He also commented, "I hope people will read the whole book and see that we had a policy that -- and a situation in Afghanistan that had been neglected for seven years, that was badly under-resourced and desperately in need of new ideas and a new strategy. And the President shepherded through a process, again, that was thoughtful and deliberate and focused to come up with what was our best chance at success."
In a video of Osama Bin Laden titled "Message to the American People", he recommends reading this book to gain insight into the mishandling of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars by President Barack Obama.
- Bob Woodward book details Obama battles with advisers over exit plan for Afghan war
- EXCLUSIVE: Bob Woodward Talks to Diane Sawyer About His New Book "Obama's Wars" - ABC News
- Charlie Rose - Bob Woodward, Author
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Robert Gibbs aboard Air Force One en route New York, New York | The White House
- "New al Qaeda leader releases message to mark 9/11". CNN. 13 September 2011. Retrieved 23 December 2011.