(Heer / Luftwaffe)
|Rank insignia||German NCO rank|
|Rank group||Non-commissioned officers|
|Army / Air Force||Oberfähnrich|
|Navy||Oberfähnrich zur See|
Oberfähnrich (OFähnr or OFR) designates in the Heer of the Bundeswehr a military person or member of the armed forces with the last or highest Officer Aspirant (OA – de: Offizieranwärter) rank. According to the salary class it is equivalent to the Portepeeunteroffizier ranks Hauptfeldwebel of Heer or Luftwaffe, and Hauptbootsmann of Marine.
It is also grouped as OR-7 in NATO, equivalent to Sergeant 1st Class, Master Sergeant, or Chief Petty Officer in the US Armed forces, and to Warrant Officer Class 2 in the British Army and Royal Navy.
In navy context NCOs of this rank were formally addressed as Herr Oberfähnrich also informally / short Oberfähnrich.
The sequence of ranks (top-down approach) in that particular group is as follows:
- OR-9: Oberstabsfeldwebel / Oberstabsbootsmann
- OR-8: Stabsfeldwebel / Stabsbootsmann
- OR-7: Oberfähnrich and Hauptfeldwebel / Oberfähnrich zur See and Hauptbootsmann
- OR-6a: Oberfeldwebel / Oberbootsmann
- OR-6b: Fähnrich and Feldwebel / Fähnrich zur See and Bootsmann
The abbreviation "OR" stands for "Other Ranks / fr: sous-officiers et militaires du rang / ru:другие ранги, кроме офицероф"!
- See also
The top-down sequence of German Heer/ Luftwaffe, and Navy Officer Aspirant (OA) ranks is as follows:
- Oberfähnrisch, Oberfähnrich zur See
- Fähnrich, Fähnrich zur See
- Fahnenjunker, and Seekadett (en: Naval cadet)
Already below the lowest officer designated rank "Fahnenjunker" any military person, assigned to an officer career, has to wear additionally to the particular rank the two capital letters “OA”, indicating to the “Officer Aspirant” career. The "nautical star" symbolises the "OA" career.
Schütze OA (OR-1)
(Heer, service uniform, military musician service)