|• Total||8.25 km2 (3.19 sq mi)|
|Elevation||431 m (1,414 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2013)|
|• Density||780/km2 (2,000/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Bachenbülach, Höri, Niederglatt, Niederhasli, Rümlang, Winkel|
Oberglatt is first mentioned around 1153-55 as Obrunglate.
Oberglatt has an area of 8.2 km2 (3.2 sq mi). Of this area, 51.5% is used for agricultural purposes, while 10.4% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 30.7% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (7.3%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The municipality straddles the Glatt river and includes the village of Oberglatt and the village section of Hofstetten. The eastern border of the municipality is the Zürich-Kloten airport.
Oberglatt has a population (as of 31 December 2013) of 6,460. As of 2007[update], 32.7% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 16.8%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (78.6%), with Italian being second most common ( 5.3%) and Albanian being third ( 3.8%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 24% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 68.8% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 7.2%. In Oberglatt about 71.1% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Oberglatt has an unemployment rate of 3.39%. As of 2005[update], there were 63 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 19 businesses involved in this sector. 654 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 57 businesses in this sector. 544 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 120 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
It is the home of the Swiss office of the New Life Network.
|Preceding station||Zürich S-Bahn||Following station|
S5 Niederweningen line
S5 Rafz line
|This section requires expansion. (April 2015)|
The Primarschule Oberglatt system serves students at the kindergarten and primary levels. The primary school campus consists of four buildings. Three additional buildings house kindergarten students.
The Stiftung Tagesschule Oberglatt is in the city.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Canton of Zurich Statistical Office (German) accessed 11 March 2014
- "Oberglatt." Aris Geoservices. Retrieved on 2 October 2009.
- Oberglatt in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 03-Aug-2009
- Home page. Primarschule Oberglatt. Retrieved on 23 April 2015.
- "Primarschule > Schulanlage." Primarschule Oberglatt. Retrieved on 23 April 2015.
- "Kindergarten > Schulanlage." Primarschule Oberglatt. Retrieved on 23 April 2015.
- "Schulen." Oberglatt. Retrieved on April 23, 2015.
- "Sekundarschule Rümlang-Oberglatt." Commune of Oberglatt. Retrieved on April 23, 2015.
- "Sekundarschule Rümlang-Oberglatt." Commune of Rümlang. Retrieved on April 23, 2015.
- "Sekundarschule Niederhasli-Niederglatt-Hofstetten." Commune of Oberglatt. Retrieved on April 23, 2015.
- "Stiftung Tagesschule Oberglatt." Commune of Oberglatt. Retrieved on April 23, 2015.
- Official website (German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oberglatt.|