Oberlin High School (Ohio)
|Oberlin High School|
|281 North Pleasant Street
Oberlin, Ohio, (Lorain County), 44074
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|Color(s)||Red, White and Blue |
|Fight song||Iowa Fight Song|
|Athletics conference||Patriot Athletic Conference|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer, Track, Softball, Cross Country, Wrestling, Cheerleading, Volleyball|
|Rival||Wellington Dukes, Clearview Clippers, Open Door Patriots|
|Athletic Director||Larry Thomas|
The school colors are red, white and dark blue. The mascot is the Phoenix, after the school board recently voted to discontinue use of the Native American mascot, effective at the end of the 2006-07 school year. The school's fight song is the Iowa Fight Song. The school used to be called the Oberlin Indians with the logo depicted by a native American with a feathered headdress. Sundance came across the highschool's use of an offensive Native American mascot emblem used as the school's mascot. He decided to petition the local school board in order to convince the school to adapt another mascot, in spite of opposition which argued in favor of the mascot's "insignificance" Although several discussions took place before the final decision was rendered, in 2007, the school officially decided to change its mascot and team name, going from the Oberlin Indians to the Oberlin Phoenix.
There is a partnership between the high school and Oberlin College. Students who live within the district and attend Oberlin High School for their entire high school career may attend Oberlin College tuition-free, if accepted.
The school is a member of the Patriot Athletic Conference (PAC-12)
- Don Treadwell Head Football Coach at Miami University.
- Chris Schubert Former Oberlin College Standout and Professional Indoor Football player.
- Hugh Thornton Indianapolis Colts 2013 3rd round draft pick.
- Cliff Stoudt Former NFL Quarterback from 1977-1991, most notably with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Ross Gunn scientist
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Dwight Peabody, American football player
Notes and references
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- Glavic, Paul (2 December 2013). "Another Front in the Redskins' Name-Change Battle: Cleveland?". The Atlantic. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball A". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Basketball AA". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.