Ocala International Airport
|Ocala International Airport
Jim Taylor Field
|IATA: OCF – ICAO: KOCF – FAA LID: OCF|
|Owner||City of Ocala|
|Elevation AMSL||89 ft / 27 m|
|18/36||7,467 (Soon to be over 8,400 ft)||2,275||Asphalt|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Ocala International Airport (IATA: OCF, ICAO: KOCF, FAA LID: OCF) is a city-owned public airport five miles west of Ocala, in Marion County, Florida. It is also known as Ocala International Airport-Jim Taylor Field and was previously Ocala Regional Airport or Jim Taylor Field.
The airport is about 31 miles south of Gainesville Regional Airport.
Ocala International Airport covers 1,532 acres (620 ha) at an elevation of 89 feet (27 m). It has two asphalt runways: runway 18/36 is 7,463 by 150 feet (2,275 x 46 m) and runway 8/26 is 3,010 by 50 feet (917 x 15 m).
The airport began in 1968 with one runway served by Eastern Airlines, one Convair a day JAX-GNV-Ocala-VRB-MIA and back. The last Eastern Electra left around 1972. Scheduled air service ended in the early 1980s, but facilities expanded to include a 3,000 foot crosswind runway, an extension of the main runway to 6,900 feet, an instrument landing approach, and FAA Part 139 certification. Scheduled airlines are unlikely to return to Ocala.
In 2004 a $1.3 million plan was put in motion to upgrade apron security systems. The airport is the first in the state to use the polycon pavement surface treatment.
In 2008 the airport had 75,000 aircraft operations, average 205 per day: 98% general aviation, 1% air taxi and 1% military. 145 aircraft were then based at the airport: 68% single-engine, 23% multi-engine, 6% jet and 3% helicopter.
In May 2009 construction began on an air traffic control tower. The tower was certified and staffed as an FAA Level I contract control tower in summer 2010.
In Popular Culture
In 2012, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John released a Christmas album containing the track "I Think You Might Like It", whose music video features the FBO at the airport. Travolta lives nearby, at the Jumbolair fly-in community, which also makes an appearance in the video.
- FAA Airport Master Record for OCF ( PDF), effective 2008-07-31
- http://www.ocalafl.org/uploadedFiles/Development_Services/Engineering/Ocala_International_Airport/Guiding_Documents/Airport_Master_Plan_Final_Report.pdf (p. 4-19: "Consequently, no scheduled commercial passenger service is forecast for the Airport over the next 20 years.")
- Travolta, John; Newton-John, Olivia. "I Think You Might Like It". YouTube. Vevo. Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- Ocala International Airport, official site
- FAA Terminal Procedures for OCF, effective September 18, 2014
- Resources for this airport: