Ocean Township High School
|Ocean Township High School|
|550 West Park Avenue
Oakhurst, NJ 07755
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Ocean Township School District|
|Principal||Kelly E. Weldon|
|Assistant principals||Gina Hagerman
|Faculty||110.7 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||1,254 (as of 2011-12)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.33:1|
|Color(s)||Red & White|
|Athletics conference||Shore Conference|
Ocean Township High School (OTHS) is a four-year comprehensive public high school located in Ocean Township, in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school the Ocean Township School District. OTHS serves residents of Loch Arbour and all neighborhoods within Ocean Township, including Oakhurst, Wanamassa, Wayside and West Allenhurst.
The school opened in 1965, serving grades 7-11. The Ocean Township seniors completed their final year at Asbury Park High School, which all Ocean Township public school students attended prior to the construction of OTHS. Thus OTHS graduated its first class in 1967. Gradually, the 7th and 8th grade students were moved to other schools. Beginning in the 1975-76 school year, with the opening of the then 7-9 Ocean Township Intermediate School, the school only served 10-12, with the freshman class returning to OTHS for the 1978-79 school year.
As of the 2011-12 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,254 students and 110.7 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.33:1. There were 176 students (14.0% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 49 (3.9% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
As of the 2011-12 school year there were 20 Advanced Placement (AP) courses offered, reflecting the addition of AP European History. In conjunction with Monmouth University, Ocean Township High School offers a dual credit program called MODEL to AP students. The school's average graduation rate for the past two years is 99% and 97% of students go on to post secondary education.
The school's Family and Consumer Science kitchens, for culinary instruction, were remodeled in 2005. Over 93% of Ocean's teachers are at or above intermediate skill levels in the use of technology.
Awards, recognition and rankings
In the 2011 "Ranking America's High Schools" issue by The Washington Post, the school was ranked 55th in New Jersey and 1,637th nationwide. In Newsweek's May 22, 2007 issue, ranking the country's top high schools, Ocean Township High School was listed in 838th place, the 21st-highest ranked school in New Jersey.
The school was the 84th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 95th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 64th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 97th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 69th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 148th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (a decrease of 31 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (83.8%) and language arts literacy (93.7%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The school's extra-curricular programs provide invaluable learning experiences and life-lessons for students. A heavy emphasis on sportsmanship and scholarship is a primary focus at OTHS with students and teachers working together to further student's interest. Many clubs also provide public service projects.
Many clubs and sports are offered to students, allowing them to look further into what interests them most.
The Ocean Township High School Spartans compete in the Shore Conference, an athletic conference made up of private and public high schools centered at the Northern Jersey Shore, in Monmouth County and Ocean County, and operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 908 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as Central Jersey, Group III for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 776 to 1,073 students in that grade range.
The football team won the Central Jersey Group III state sectional championships in 1993, 2000 and 2005. As the tournament's seventh seed, Ocean Township High School defeated Nottingham High School (Hamilton High School North) by a score of 41-20 in the 2005 Central Jersey Group III sectional final.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Kelly E. Weldon - Principal
- Gina Hagerman - Assistant Principal
- Michael Lambusta - Assistant Principal
- Robert Legato (born 1956), Academy Award Winner for Visual Effects in 1998 for Titanic and in 2012 for Hugo.
- Susan Littenberg (class of 1985), film editor.
- Eric Nies (born 1971), model and reality television personality.
- John Nies (born 1967), former NFL punter for the Buffalo Bills.
- Shiba Russell, news anchor at WNBC-TV in New York.
- Michael Uslan (born 1951), writer and producer of the Batman film franchise.
- Phil Villapiano (born 1949), former NFL linebacker who played in four Pro Bowls and was a part of the Oakland Raiders Super Bowl XI winning team.
- Wendy Williams (born 1964), radio and television host.
- Data for Ocean Twp High, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed August 20, 2014.
- Spoto, MaryAnn. "N.J. appeals court sides with Ocean Twp. against Loch Arbour in school funding dispute", The Star-Ledger, July 14, 2011. Accessed October 17, 2011.
- Ocean Township High School 2013 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 17, 2011. "In addition, Ocean offers nineteen advanced placement courses approved by the College Board. We intend to add AP European History in the 2011-2012 school year bringing our AP offerings to twenty."
- Mathews, Jay. "The High School Challenge 2011: Ocean Township High School", The Washington Post. Accessed September 10, 2011.
- "The Top of the Class: The complete list of the 1,200 top U.S. schools", Newsweek, May 22, 2007. Accessed May 24, 2007.
- Streib, Lauren. "America's Best High Schools", The Daily Beast, May 6, 2013. Accessed May 9, 2013.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed April 6, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010-2011, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 23, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for Central Jersey, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed November 23, 2014.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 18, 2011.
- 2005 Football - Central, Group III, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 18, 2011.
- Administration, Ocean Township High School. Accessed November 23, 2014.
- Staff. "Shore's Robert Legato is special-effects wizard behind 'Hugo'", Asbury Park Press, February 26, 2012. Accessed March 5, 2012. "Many decades later, after growing up in Asbury Park, graduating from Ocean Township High School and studying film in Santa Barbara, Calif., Legato has become the magician."
- Staff. "Susan Littenberg Nominated for Prestigious ACE Film Award", Atlantic Highlands Herald, January 30, 2011. Accessed October 17, 2011. "Highly acclaimed Hollywood film editor Susan Littenberg, who graduated from Ocean Township High School in 1985, has been nominated for an American Cinema Editors (ACE) Eddie Award, given to recognize excellence in film editing."
- Anderson, Teja. "People On The Move - John Nies", LivingMedia, June 27, 2010. Accessed August 14, 2012. "John Nies grew up in Ocean Township with his two sisters Kim and Tara and younger brother Eric (yes, the guy from MTV’s The Real World), his parents, mother Anna May, a pre-school teacher and father Jack who was one of the longest running referees in NBA history. John Attended Ocean Township High School after his experiences in private school were not so pleasant. 'I went to RBC for two semesters and I got abused and hazed on the bus.'"
- Longsdorf, Amy. "'Dark Knight' producer was 'just a kid from Jersey'", Courier-Post, January 26, 2009. Accessed June 1, 2011. "By the time Uslan graduated from Ocean Township High School in 1969, he had amassed more than 30,000 books..."
- Phil Villapiano, database Football. Accessed December 15, 2007.
- Neglia, Ashley V. "Mixing Media", New Jersey Monthly, June 9, 2008. Accessed July 22, 2008.
- Ocean Township High School
- Ocean Township School District
- Ocean Township School District's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Ocean Township School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- Ocean Township High School Drama Club