|Country||United States of America|
|• Mayor||David Shealy|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||295500|
Ochopee is an unincorporated community in Collier County, Florida, United States. It is located to the east of the intersection of US 41 and State Road 29, near Carnestown. The community is part of the Naples–Marco Island Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Ochopee began as a small one family tomato farming community in the early 1920s. The Gaunt family bought land in the area for $100 per acre, and started with only army tents. It got its name when a visitor to the general store asked the owner what the place was called. A native man was trading in the store that day so the owner asked him what was the Seminole word for farm. He replied, "O-Chopp-ee". After the original Post Office burned down residents used an old storage shed to house mail, which then became the smallest in the nation.
Points of interest
- Ochopee post office
- Skunk Ape Research Center
- Joannie's Crab Shack
- National Park Service Big Cypress Head Quarters, AKA The Golden Lion Motor Inn
- Wootens World Famous Airboats
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ochopee, Florida
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Stone 1989, p. 2.
- Stone 1989, p. 11.
- Stone 1989, p. 51.
- Stone, Maria (1989). "Ochopee The Story of the Smallest Post Office"
- Pettengill, Frank (1975). "Naples Daily News","Ochopee Acquisition Appeal Made"
Focus of movie "Just Cause" Just Cause is a 1995 film directed by Arne Glimcher and starring Sean Connery and Laurence Fishburne. It is based on John Katzenbach's novel of the same name.