|Irwin County and the state of Georgia|
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.7 km2)|
|• Land||2.6 sq mi (6.7 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||348 ft (106 m)|
|• Density||1,257.7/sq mi (488.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0332555|
Ocilla is located at (31.598611, -83.249932).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.6 square miles (6.7 km2), of which 2.6 square miles (6.7 km2) is land and 0.39% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,270 people, 1,099 households, and 762 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,264.3 people per square mile (487.5/km²). There were 1,283 housing units at an average density of 496.0 per square mile (191.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 38.87% White, 59.39% African American, 0.09% Native American, 0.34% Asian, 0.86% from other races, and 0.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.77% of the population.
There were 1,099 households out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.3% were married couples living together, 27.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.6% were non-families. 28.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the city the population was spread out with 35.0% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 22.3% from 25 to 44, 17.5% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 92.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 73.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,332, and the median income for a family was $27,411. Males had a median income of $26,711 versus $18,594 for females. The per capita income for the city was $10,573. About 27.4% of families and 33.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 47.2% of those under age 18 and 26.3% of those age 65 or over.
Irwin County School District
The Irwin County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of one elementary school, a middle school, and a high school. The district has 123 full-time teachers and over 1,814 students.
- Irwin County Elementary School
- Irwin County Middle School
- Irwin County High School
Beginning in 1961, the Annual Sweet Potato Festival has been held in Ocilla, currently on the last Saturday in October.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). "Historical Gazetteer of the United States". Routledge. p. 241. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Georgia Board of Education, Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- School Stats, Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- Ocilla-Irwin Chamber of Commerce: History of the Sweet Potato Festival